Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2009 zx6r that had 2 green led parking lights (smaller lights on the sides of the headlights) and they no longer work. checked every fuse under the seat and they were all good and tried a couple different new lights and theres no power going to the plugs. anyone experienced with these lights that can help me out?

·
Registered
958 Posts
The 2 city lights, license plate light, and the tail lights all receive power from the same source, the ignition switch (Red wire). The ignition switch gets the power from the regulator/rectifier (White wire) when it's running, and via the 30A Main Fuse using the battery.

They all also share the same frame ground (Black/Yellow wire) but there are 3 different joint connectors that spread the ground around like a terminal block.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The 2 city lights, license plate light, and the tail lights all receive power from the same source, the ignition switch (Red wire). The ignition switch gets the power from the regulator/rectifier (White wire) when it's running, and via the 30A Main Fuse using the battery.

They all also share the same frame ground (Black/Yellow wire) but there are 3 different joint connectors that spread the ground around like a terminal block.
i would do a continuity check on the supply to the lights from the source... point a to point b testing... do it on both ground and power supply sides... sound like a short somewhere between battery power and ignition power supply...since they share the same feed...otherwise only one component would fail... not all...

·
Registered
958 Posts
You can only check for a short in a ground wire by disconnecting the wire from the ground. Even then, a short in a ground wire is still a ground. You will want to check for an open in the wire.

I'd say a short in your power wire would blow fuses so look for an open in the wires. You already tried new lamps and have verified there is no power at the plugs. Looking at the wiring diagram I'd check for power going into the ignition switch. That will tell you if the problem is before or after the ignition switch.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've got a similar problem. Noticed that before I started installing my fender eliminator kit that my license plate light wasn't working. After looking at Fred's wiring diagram PDF, it appears that there may be a bad connection between the license plate light and "Joint Connector C" whatever that is.

Search button, here I come. lol

·
Registered
888 Posts

I looked at the diagram and remembered that my city lights weren't working either. The rear brake light does work like it's supposed to, however.

Does anyone think it's a fuse problem, relay problem or ground problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts