Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am planning on tracking my bike a couple times this summer but I noticed the gas tank wobbles 1/4"-1/2" side to side. I've seen ppl on the forums say it's normal for the older models. My 2 buddies have a 2009 and 2012 zx6r also, and their gas tanks do the exact same thing. They actually didn't notice until I asked them to check, and now they are like WTF! HAHA. We tightened down all the bolts (front/rear tank) and the foam pads under the tank are still in place. I used to track smaller bikes, so I'm moving up this summer and cant wait, but I'm tripping out a bit because when I'm hanging off the bike I'm going to think the tank is going to fall off and won't feel comfortable. None of my previous bikes have done this.
Anyone with a 09-12 model, have you found out a way to solve this issue? It wobbles more when the tank has less gas in it (less weight pushing it down). Is there a DIY fix to this u can recommend?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do you still have the gas tank trim fairings in place? They should have 2 rubber bumpers up front by the mounting bolt that fit between the tank and the frame and keep the tank pretty rigid. Without those the tank will flex up and down a bit. But then again, a lot of track guys/racers leave those trim pieces off once they fit race bodywork. I haven't heard anyone complain about that issue. I still use mine however.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you still have the gas tank trim fairings in place? They should have 2 rubber bumpers up front by the mounting bolt that fit between the tank and the frame and keep the tank pretty rigid. Without those the tank will flex up and down a bit. But then again, a lot of track guys/racers leave those trim pieces off once they fit race bodywork. I haven't heard anyone complain about that issue. I still use mine however.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
Ya the gas tank fairings are in place just fine. The 2 bumpers close to the mounting bolt (a couple inches closer to the center of the tank from the mounting bolt) are still there on both sides. I think what I may do is take those clear rubber tacks that u see glass tables rest on, and put one on each side on the frame under the rubber bumper. This should be enough to fill the spaces on each side between the bumpers on the tank and the frame of the bike.

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,574 Posts
Yeah my 07 has the same issue. I'm going to put some foam strips under the tank edges when I reshim my valves to fix it. If it makes a difference to you, I never noticed it on the track. Just in the pits and moving the bike around at home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 does the same thing I don’t like it but it’s supposed to it’s the rubber grommets under the tank I called Kawasaki and the technician said yes it’s supposed to do it so the frame don’t crack or anything then I called a dealership and he said all 3 of his zx6rs does the same so that’s a complete confirmation but I still don’t like the fact that it moves

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
11 year old rubber bits loose their effectiveness--but yes oe tanks move a bit on nearly all rubber mounted tanks!

take the rubber bits out and replace, something stiff and a tighter fit than the oem would be prefferred, but will also increase vibrations through the tank

·
Registered
573 Posts
My 2012 does the same thing I don’t like it but it’s supposed to it’s the rubber grommets under the tank I called Kawasaki and the technician said yes it’s supposed to do it so the frame don’t crack or anything then I called a dealership and he said all 3 of his zx6rs does the same so that’s a complete confirmation but I still don’t like the fact that it moves

Wrap a strip of rubber in electrical tape until it fits snug. You’ll have to rewrap it every once in awhile but it works. Hasn’t fallen out yet, even when it starts to fit a little looser.

·
Registered
573 Posts
What rubber did you use
Its just a 3/16” thick rubber vibration pad. Its what you would stick underneath an air compressor thats sitting on concrete. I’m sure most hardware stores would have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts