Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys, this is my first post!! just before Christmas i bought a 2007 zx6r, i bought it with front end damage (mainly front nose cone, right side fairing, front wheel) i have fitted new front wheel, wheel bearings, new spindle, head stock bearings, removed and inspected both fork legs and both top and bottom yokes (all ok) after getting the front end built back up, i noticed the front wheel is very close to the exhaust header. Is this normal for this model of bike? i havent seen anoher bike in real life to check this.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm not sure about the 2007 (probably very similar), but on my 2009 it's around 1.5 inches between the bottom of the header and the front tire.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
A few pictures would help.........

" I noticed the front wheel is real close to the exhaust header"................ is very indescript and subject to a wide interpretation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I realised that haha, here is a picture of the clearance I have, would someone be able to compare with their 07/08 Zx6r please

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I do not have a 07/08 to compare to- but that looks way closer than any bike I have been changing tires on or working on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have a 07/08 to compare to- but that looks way closer than any bike I have been changing tires on or working on
Yes me too, my 2010 zx10 is parked at the side of it and that's nowhere near as close, although it doesn't have stupid shaped header pipes like the p7

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe I have something of a similar situation.
I hit a raised concrete slab straight on which popped my tire and bent my rim and forks (just slightly). Got the forks straighten, new (to me) rim/wheel, put her back together and notice the wheel is closer to the fairing.
Thing is, the new tire has a 6mm higher profile (couldn't get stock size at the time in a timely manner, so alternative size which is bigger was settled on).
Bike runs fine and I don't notice any difference, but I think the frame has been tweaked (like squeezed so hard that it's shorter ), because funny thing is, the fairing bolts didn't quite line up afterwards as well.
I also don't see any cracks or stress marks on or near the head. Could be the triple is bent, doesn't look like it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mine is a 2007 ZZR600, but wondering, do your fairing bolts/mounts line up ?
The ones in the lower mid section (by the kickstand) is where I really noticed and was like WTF.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi ,2007 zx6r non bent frame, this is the clearance I have. Handle bars straight one measured from fairing to tire, other from exhaust to tire. Kinda awkward photo to take with a tape measure but I do hope this helps you

Edit*** compared photos. Yours does look really close to the tire. It already sits close but yours seems just a little bit closer then mine does. But could just be how the photos is.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That great, thanks for the photos!! I can try the fairings on as they haven't arrived yet. Mine does look a little closer than yours in the pic, but not much.. You would think if the frames bent, then the forks would of bent aswell surely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'll wait till the new fairings arrive and trial fit them and see how it looks. Not sure what else to try really, unless it is the forks that are slightly bent. Wonder if my 2010 zx10r front forks would fit in the zx6 yokes? Would be worth a try to see how the gap looks then?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maybe I'll wait till the new fairings arrive and trial fit them and see how it looks. Not sure what else to try really, unless it is the forks that are slightly bent. Wonder if my 2010 zx10r front forks would fit in the zx6 yokes? Would be worth a try to see how the gap looks then?

There is really nothing to “try” if your steering head is tweeked. Just remember that if it looks like the front wheel will hit anything when the suspension is compressed under heavy braking - you’ll have a bad day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is really nothing to “try” if your steering head is tweeked. Just remember that if it looks like the front wheel will hit anything when the suspension is compressed under heavy braking - you’ll have a bad day.
Can't see the frame being tweeked, there would be noticeable stress marks or paint flaked if it had bent that far to make the front wheel touch the fairings. I'm gunna swap the forks with my zx10 and see what that's like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the left fork could be tweeked slightly, it doesn't look like it's flush in the top yoke and the expansion split is spread wider that the right side?!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts