Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
I have to think that noise is at the high end of 'probably not good'. It would be a good idea to get the valve clearances inspected, and perform a compression check as well. Do you know if the bike has a manual cam chain tensioner, or if it still has the OEM automatic unit?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to think that noise is at the high end of 'probably not good'. It would be a good idea to get the valve clearances inspected, and perform a compression check as well. Do you know if the bike has a manual cam chain tensioner, or if it still has the OEM automatic unit?
Yes,this bike have OEM cam chain tensioner,so you think is the chain problem?I will check later.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
I do not think it will be the chain. Tapping like that is not from the chain. Either the valve clearances are too wide, or something else is happening which makes that tapping noise. When the noise is happening at cam shaft speed (1/2 crank shaft) it's likely somewhere in the top end. If the tapping is at the same rate as the crankshaft.... that would indicate pistons, crankshaft or anything else that is running at the same speed as the crankshaft.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not think it will be the chain. Tapping like that is not from the chain. Either the valve clearances are too wide, or something else is happening which makes that tapping noise. When the noise is happening at cam shaft speed (1/2 crank shaft) it's likely somewhere in the top end. If the tapping is at the same rate as the crankshaft.... that would indicate pistons, crankshaft or anything else that is running at the same speed as the crankshaft.
Okay,thanks for your help!!!

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
Sheesh. Idk. That second clip on the first start up has more of a bottom end chunk. First clip sounds top end. Next time it’s due an oil change if it makes it that long cut your oil filter and see check real good to see if you are picking up any metal. Sounds rough tho.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sheesh. Idk. That second clip on the first start up has more of a bottom end chunk. First clip sounds top end. Next time it’s due an oil change if it makes it that long cut your oil filter and see check real good to see if you are picking up any metal. Sounds rough tho.
Okay,thanks for your help!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts