Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I recently purchased a bone stock 2007 ZX-6R (Fuel Injected) with 1600 miles on it, but unfortunately it came with a few problems :plain:. It's running extremely rich and doing all the things that come along with that, but I can't figure out why. I'll detail the symptoms below followed by the things I've tried.

Symptoms:
  • Running very rich
  • Mildly rough idle, possible misfire?
  • Thick black smoke at high RPM
  • Stinky fuel-smelling exhaust
  • Poor gas mileage
  • Quickly depositing carbon on all four plugs
  • Exhaust spitting fuel droplets / black specks
  • Lots of soot around/inside exhaust tips
  • Very choppy/jerky throttle response, mostly below 8k rpm.
  • Occasional stalling when returning to idle from high RPM, both after revving or clutching during panic braking when at high RPM. Doesn't occur when engine-braking from high RPM.
  • RPM surge with tiny blip of throttle - Should blip to ~2.5k rpm, but shoots up to 3.5k-4k after throttle released for 1-2 seconds before returning, both in neutral or rev-matching during downshift.
I've tried:
  • Changing plugs
  • Inspecting air filter
  • Inspecting for vacuum leaks
  • Resetting ECU via battery disconnection (not sure if that even does anything)
  • Injector cleaner (Techron)
The bike came with a 90-day full-service warranty, but I just need some help diagnosing the problem(s) because the mechanic seems a little lost, too. Thanks for your time - I appreciate any advice you can give!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The exhaust is actually spitting out unburnt fuel as a liquid?

Holy fuck. I know spitting flames is common but if its pissing petrol out of your exhaust pipe, that bike is shagged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it may have just been condensation after checking again (yay).

On the bright side, I think I'm getting close to a solution. When I unplugged the Inlet Air Pressure Sensor on top of the air cleaner housing, all the problems went away. Does this mean the sensor is faulty or am I just making the bike ignore a problem that lies somewhere else?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you unplugged the sensor, and everything is fine now, i suspect the sensor is faulty. telling your ecu you have a crapload too much air coming in, so the bike will inject a crapload too much fuel into the engine, but because you dont have enough air to justify the extra fuel, its running rich as hell.

glad to hear petrol isn't leaking out of your exhaust, that would be a serious problem haha!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had the exact same issues and performed the exact same solutions as Soulglo on my 2006 636. i have decided to try out that sensor to see if that will help me out and have been looking at schematics online but i cant find it. does anyone know if this sensor is also on the 2006 636?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts