Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2006 ZX6R from a local private party and am trying to sort through some of the small issues it has. The history of the bike is limited but I got it from the original owner and it has around 16k miles on it.

I was riding the other day and the bike lost power, shut down completely. Luckily, I was near a gas station and pulled in. After troubleshooting, I determined that the bike was out of gas. This baffled me because the fuel light never came on and the LCD display never said 'fuel' like the manual says it should. Once I filled up the tank, the bike started right up. I've drove it to about 130 miles and still no light or notifications. I'm going to assume that the sending unit isn't working properly since the bike still runs fine.

I've read on the forum that the sensor and pump are one unit that is installed in the tank. Is this true? If not, I would imagine that I could replace the sending unit and not the pump, correct?

This is my first Kawasaki so I'm still learning. I only know what the manual tells me at this point. So, any help, insight, suggestions will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
unsure with the differences in our bikes, haven't run into any problems with my fuel light, my fuel light comes on around 150 miles or so and I've pushed it close to 200 miles before filling her up. if you can't find a fix maybe you could use this as somewhat of a reference

·
Registered
4 Posts
I swapped out my fuel pump on my 06, and ever since my fuel light doesn't work. I am thinking I didn't connect something correctly in the swap, I used a non OEM fuel pump, and some bits didn't fit 100% as the stock.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The fuel level sender (circled in red) comes with the OEM pump, it cannot be purchased separately.
The solution is to disassemble it and replace the inside sensor with a NTC 1K Thermistor at 10%.
I repaired the one on my bike, here I talk about it: Fuel level

Light Automotive lighting Circuit component Gas Cable

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fuel level sender (circled in red) comes with the OEM pump, it cannot be purchased separately.
The solution is to disassemble it and replace the inside sensor with a NTC 1K Thermistor at 10%.
I repaired the one on my bike, here I talk about it: Fuel level

View attachment 111148
Thanks man! I may tear it down and go for it this winter. I wasn’t a fan of this tear down. Now that I see the photo, I recall all those pieces being corroded and flimsy. I think a wire might have broke on reassembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts