Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 2006 ZX-6r for cheap and ordered a (new to me) wiring harness for it because the old one was spliced to hell. Well I got it all buttoned up last night and went to start it but it wouldn’t turn over. Turns out I missed a plug and can’t figure out where it goes. its pretty much right under the seat about even with the battery but on the opposite side. Here is a a few pictures of it, any ideas?

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Thats not a plug. Its actually a test port the manufacturer can hook up their computer to. It just stays like that. Thats what people use for the "jumper mod" for some more power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats not a plug. Its actually a test port the manufacturer can hook up their computer to. It just stays like that. Thats what people use for the "jumper mod" for some more power.

I finally figured that out. I had it turning over before I switched harnesses but I had to basically hot wire it because I was missing an ignition at the time too. So now I’ve got a new ignition and wiring harness but can’t get it to turn over. The key will turn on and give power to the cluster but nothing when I hit the start button.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s also a red wire leg that comes off of my harness right before the 30A main fuse hookup if you’re coming from the rear
. Any idea about this??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neutral light is on?

Yes neutral light comes on. it also flashes a yellow light and says fuel which is understandable because I know my fuel pump isn’t priming, but before I could still get it to turn over whether fuel was present or not.

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Not sure what that wire is but it doesnt look original. Maybe someone else on here might be able to figure it out

Is your ignition fuse good?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: okay so I’ve got it turning over now (went back and took the whole harness out again and hooked it back up once more retracing my steps) but still no start. Anyone got a troubleshooting process for Fuel delivery?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here’s a question: how do you know the new (and cheap) wiring harness is good? It looks like it has had at least one modification with that red wire...

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Update: okay so I’ve got it turning over now (went back and took the whole harness out again and hooked it back up once more retracing my steps) but still no start. Anyone got a troubleshooting process for Fuel delivery?
Is the tip sensor plugged in? Is it installed in the upright position?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
and, earlier you had stated you had no fuel pump prime.......is that sorted out now?
kill button is not in kill?
ignition switch is a known good switch and all wires on the back are soldered and secured?

When it is cranking over..........
do you have spark and fuel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
did you get this figured out clark??? that's the fuel gauge sensor switch ( inside the white box)..if its not connected the yellow gas light stays on- i can take a look on tmorro tell you where to connect it- however this would not affect your bike not starting unless you are out of gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry im late--- that switch from my( white box) other image goes to the yellow wire that comes out of your gas tank connector (white box) in this image-

the gas tank connector should only have three wires and a port that is blocked off - the colors on mine are yellow for yellow low gas light- a white wire and a black wire.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts