Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I'm looking at buying a 2006 Ninja 636. It has 5300 miles on it and apparently on has had 1 owner. He's asking $4500 for it but we agreed on $4200. Is this odd? Does it sound like a fair price or is he most likely hiding something? I'm new to 636's, it'll actually be my first one. So I just wanted to see if that is a good price or is it too little? Any input will help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
im naturally skeptical. What's the dudes story. it may be too low mileage. If that bike has been sitting for a couple of years, the fuel sitting in it may have totally destroyed the fuel system to where it needs total replacement.

If the bikes a stunt bike or a track bike, that would've increased wear or tear.

Could be an odometer replacement.

If the guys been commuting 5 miles to work for the past few years, then MAYBE that would make sense. basically, this bike only averaged around 500 miles a year. That's low. So either it's been sitting a considerable amount of time or something's off, both of which should be concerns.

A guy that says he tears up canyons and hits the track, that low mileage on a bike that's almost 10 years old, that's an odometer replacement.

·
Registered
442 Posts
trade in a just under 3000 and dealer price is 4300. I don't know what the market in GA is like, but in FL it would fit in well with what people are asking. The miles seem low, look the bike over good, check for any marks that would lead to you knowing if its been down, check around the tank, under the oil cap, etc. Ultimately a bike is worth the exact amount the buyer is willing to pay for it. GL

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That sounds like a good price to me. My first 05 had 6k miles on it when I bought it. I paid 4k for it. My second 05 which was in immaculate condition and only 8k miles I paid 4500 for, a little higher than what I wanted to pay but the condition of the bike was worth it. So yes that is a very good price for an 06

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Sounds like a pretty fair price as long as everything on the bike seems good. The miles are low for the age of the bike, but there are a number of potential explanations for that - at least ask tho.

im naturally skeptical. What's the dudes story. it may be too low mileage. If that bike has been sitting for a couple of years, the fuel sitting in it may have totally destroyed the fuel system to where it needs total replacement.

If the bikes a stunt bike or a track bike, that would've increased wear or tear.

Could be an odometer replacement.

If the guys been commuting 5 miles to work for the past few years, then MAYBE that would make sense. basically, this bike only averaged around 500 miles a year. That's low. So either it's been sitting a considerable amount of time or something's off, both of which should be concerns.

A guy that says he tears up canyons and hits the track, that low mileage on a bike that's almost 10 years old, that's an odometer replacement.
It certainly could be any of these issue, but it could just be a single owner who doesn't ride a ton. At least up here in MI, 500 miles/year would not be uncommon at all for a sport bike. As long as he has a decent answer to how much he has ridden it and what type of riding he does, I wouldn't be worried about it...but that's just me :O

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
God, my 2013 is only 8 months old and it already has more miles on it than that...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like a pretty fair price as long as everything on the bike seems good. The miles are low for the age of the bike, but there are a number of potential explanations for that - at least ask tho.

It certainly could be any of these issue, but it could just be a single owner who doesn't ride a ton. At least up here in MI, 500 miles/year would not be uncommon at all for a sport bike. As long as he has a decent answer to how much he has ridden it and what type of riding he does, I wouldn't be worried about it...but that's just me :O
Yes, 500 miles a year isn't exactly uncommon for bikes here where that white stuff dominates but he's in Atlanta where they ride YEAR ROUND.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts