Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

2006 ZX-6R 636 high frequency engine vibrations

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  commiehunter 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I just got a 2006 zx-6r with 10k miles. I've had 2001 a zx-6r before and it wasn't buzzing as bad, so I'm positive it's not normal.
It's been having high frequency vibrations in handlebars while revving or riding at above 5k rpms. I'm pretty sure the vibrations are coming from engine because I could rev the engine while in neutral and feel the same vibrations as in riding. That means we can eliminate everything not related to the engine. I was trying to investigate and found this part under the gas tank laying on the engine. Does anyone know what that part is https://imgur.com/a/y4OCJ ?
Or does anyone have any suggestions how to troubleshoot engine vibrations? It gets really annoying on rides longer than 15 mins.

The bike has two brothers exhaust and frame sliders, good tires.
The bike looks like is in very good condition.

Thanks!

#8 ·
First thing to address on a situation like this, is to get a tune up done. Plugs, filters, valve adjustment, and get the throttle bodies synchronized.

Next would be to see if there are any vacuum leaks which may mess with the fuel metering. Also exhaust system leaks.

Another possibility is a loose engine mount.

One of the guys in Australia fought with a vibration on his '14, and it eventually came down to his fuel filter/strainer was clogged... fuel pump was working really hard to try and draw in enough fuel to run the bike.

Hopefully this gives you some directions to investigate.

Once you've worked through these, you get to more serious possibilities. Bearings, etc.

#9 ·
Yeah I will check spark plugs, filter, valves and etc even though those things shouldn't cause vibrations.
I have two brothers exhaust, I checked all the bolts and there's no smell.
I will check the engine mounts over the weekend. I doubt that fuel pump can cause vibrations that will get to handlebars, but worth checking.

Thanks!

#11 ·
just a made a thread about this on my '14, my vibration is only from 8k-9k though so im at a loss for what it could be

#13 ·
Cleaned the air filter. Engine mount bolts seem solid (would be really surprised if they were loose). I ordered new spark plugs, will install them over the weekend and will also do a throttle body sync. Might take some pics inside of the cylinders with my borescope just in case, doubt there will be anything unusual at 10k miles.

#14 ·
I believe the comment re: the fuel pump was less that the pump itself caused vibrations, but the fact that anything which causes the engine to run less than as smooth as possible will cause the ENGINE to have excess vibration, which you may be feeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.