Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to this and was wondering what my tapping might be. Whenever I am going and I pull in my clutch I feel a tap on my feet through my pegs. I also hear it and I can't tell if it is coming from the motor or maybe my chain is slapping the swingarm. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I just looked it up and they said the ticking is common not to worry about it. I am going to run it over to a dealer and have them tell me what they think tomorrow. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You shouldn't feel the cam chain in your feet. Sounds like something else there. Does it make the noise when you are stopped? Which side does the noise seem to be coming from?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds a little more to the left but at the same time, right in the middle. It does it only when I am rolling. If I am just cruising or gunning it, nothing, but neutral or clutch pulled it does it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
tight spot in the chain... as in drive chain

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I could have my facts right I just rode it around and it is definitely on the right side and it does it while I am driving. I wanted to pay close attention so my facts would be straight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried to do a video but it only does it while the bike is moving and there is too much wind to catch the noise. I will attempt again in the morning.

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I think with either clutch or cam chain you would get noise while it is stopped. I've had the cam chain issue (replaced the tensioner with a manual to fix it) and it is most noticeable when the bike is cold and stopped and idling. Clutch noise is usually also noticeable when stopped. Usually if it is clutch noise you will hear it go away or get louder if you slowly put pressure on the clutch lever when the bike is stopped and being in neutral vs being in gear could also change the noise. If none of the above is true then I think it might be in the transmission or in the chain/sprocket area as mentioned above. Does it only do it in certain gears?

·
Registered
27 Posts
what sort of rattle/ticking noise is it? a cam tensioner failing is a very obvious loud, rough rattle. clutch basket rattle is alot finer/quieter

·
Registered
27 Posts
what sort of rattle/ticking noise is it? a cam tensioner failing is a very obvious loud, rough rattle. clutch basket rattle is alot finer/quieter

how much oil have you got in it? if its low the valve lifters may of gone dry an theyl start tapping..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just drove it again with minimal outside noise and it is coming from the chain. It makes the sound every rotation. I am going to change it today and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
you need to replace chain and sprockets... and sure its ok to ride, just know if the chain fails, your going to have a broken motor...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts