Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started developing a problem at the end of the season this year. In second gear mostly (but sometimes other gears I think) under WOT I will get a momentary hesitation in the high rpm’s (11k-13k). My shift light will flash with the hesitation but I don’t think it’s clutch slip as I stay on the throttle the whole time. Any ideas? Newish plugs and I don’t have a power commander any more. Happened through multiple tanks of gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it’s a complete cut out of power for a split second. Notice the two blips at the end of second gear in the video. It’s enough of a cut to have the bike dive forward a little

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
well, that's not the rev limiter.... do you have any codes displayed? TPS, secondary butterflies?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, that's not the rev limiter.... do you have any codes displayed? TPS, secondary butterflies?
No codes or FI lights. I'm not sure if it would be TPS because the throttle is pinned the whole time through all the gears. So especially that late In the rev range I don't see why it would be moving/reading another value at all. and also it only happens in one gear typically, second in this case (the other times it has happened I can't be 100% sure what gear I was in at the time)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
That is absolutely transmission failure going on........... No doubt in my mind at all!

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Any component in particular?
bare bones minimum..........You are going to need two gears and one shift fork and then some gaskets and oil seals plus the consumables of oil and filter and fresh coolant (unless changed within the past 3 years)

but I would also be replacing the wear components of the shims and clips between the gears and since you are in that deep...... I would also be going for the oil pump and other consumables and just make it fresh and new!

You need to get in to the transmission and see what parts you need, it is never a one part fits all scenario!

mandatory parts will easily run $500 to buy and time investment- 10-12 hours easily and that is if everything goes well and there are no unforseeable issues and the fasteners are all good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bare bones minimum..........You are going to need two gears and one shift fork and then some gaskets and oil seals plus the consumables of oil and filter and fresh coolant (unless changed within the past 3 years)

but I would also be replacing the wear components of the shims and clips between the gears and since you are in that deep...... I would also be going for the oil pump and other consumables and just make it fresh and new!

You need to get in to the transmission and see what parts you need, it is never a one part fits all scenario!

mandatory parts will easily run $500 to buy and time investment- 10-12 hours easily and that is if everything goes well and there are no unforseeable issues and the fasteners are all good!
Welp I've been meaning to make 6th taller anyway. In the meantime there shouldn't be any issues dailying it correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means but your blips are so quick they appear to be electrical, weather that is ignition or fuel related remains to be seen. Maybe start with basics, checking connectors are good (fuel pump especially - and check for a melted earth *black n yellow) and not green & corroded. Ensure your engine stop button on the right hand controls is clean and making good contact, change your plugs and be sure the ignition coils are all clean to help stop HT voltage leaks to ground.

Interesting that your transmission has been mentioned - with my limited knowledge I cant figure how that would be the case but maybe I'm just missing something real obvious.
Also we know the ecu suffers on the 05 machines but usually the engine cuts out totally until it cools then runs again for a time.

edit - side stand switch??

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Welp I've been meaning to make 6th taller anyway. In the meantime there shouldn't be any issues dailying it correct?
If you think you are going inside to change 6th gear to taller, you are in for a huge surprise and big time waster trying to figure out what gears will work......

Would I suggest riding it this way, hell no........... you are sending metal pieces into the oil to eat the pump and all the bearings and potentially score the cylinder walls etc........

fix it or park it would be my advice.........unless you are very easy on the throttle and can get it through 2nd gear without it jumping out ever.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh right, I understand now. So you reckon the 2nd gear is jumping out of mesh momentarily? I had a KTM that would do that but end up just straight jumping out of gear (5th in my case).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts