Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLVED: 2005 ZX6r Bogging down, rough idle, stalling

Hello,

My 2005 ZX6r has recently started running awfully. The bike sat unused for a long time before I purchased it (4 years ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLY7ytY1eCQ

Symptoms are:
- Rough and sporadic idle
- Stalling when cold (due to the idle)
- Bogging down when accelerating from a stop - Kind of feels like it chokes/runs out of petrol, then with more revs it picks up and has no issues

Actions taken to fix it:
- Serviced recently (by a mechanic) - All the usual stuff, spark plugs, oil, air filter etc. He reported nothing that would cause this issue (i.e. uneven spark plug, dirty plugs etc.)
- Fuel filter cleaned out (Pulled a few chunks of rust from the sump)
- Reverted to stock tuning (Symptoms exist on both stock and dyno tuning)
- Varied petrol typed & brands
- Injector cleaner tried (no change)

Given all the things i've tried, I feel it might be the coils (as i've read that's a common problem).

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

EDIT:

SOLVED: Issue was a faulty ignition coil (lower secondary resistance than in the manual). Replaced it and the issue is now fixed!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did u eliminate the source of the rust that got to ur filter? And is the bike warm when it exists these symptoms (not to insult you lol) but just checkin...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the rust was simply from the bike sitting for an unknown amount of time before I got it. (The tank has surface spots, but nothing like what was found in the filter)

Yeah. The symptoms still show when the bikes warm. In fact that youtube video was the bike just after I got back from a 20min ride.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did mechanic put plug wirez on too or just plugs? If u can see the plug wires well on ur bike sometimes you can see a plug wire arching if its bad. If u don't see anything try getting them wet and look again, while bike is running obviously. Definitely sounds like an ignition problem tho.
Does it smell like it's running rich when it's idling like this? That's a good and easy way to tell if it's a fuel or ignition problem
If this is all to no avail and nobody has any better advice I'd say that you have a bad coil or coils. They aren't very expensive I don't think

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the solutions! I'll take a look on the weekend and see how I go.
I haven't checked the plug wires, but he only did the plugs, not the plugs + wires.

I'd say it smelt rich when i had the tuning running, though I havent ridden it too much since (for obvious reasons.). I'll check tonight on this one.

I think a set of coils are around $150, so it might be an easy check to see if new coils make a difference or not. (I'd love for someone to come along with the exact same issue and have solved it... but that's a best case :p )

·
Registered
369 Posts
Idk how those coils are on the 05's: individually, packs of 2, or all 4 but if it's individual or 2 packs u could by one and keep switching until problems improve or go away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like those coils are individual and snap right onto the plugs so there aren't an "plug wires"
Did a bit of research and looks like its quite easy to test coil packs using a multi meter. I'll check this on the weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that might be your problem. Raise that shit up to about 1600.
Surely that's way too high for warm temp idle? Always thought it should be 1200 max for operating temp.

Not sure if that would fix the bogging down though.. What do you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
891 Posts
Surely that's way too high for warm temp idle? Always thought it should be 1200 max for operating temp.

Not sure if that would fix the bogging down though.. What do you think?
from service manual

•Check the idle speed.
If the idle speed is out of specified range, adjust it.
Idle Speed
Standard: 1 300 ±50 r/min (rpm)
Idle Speed Adjustment •Start the engine and warm it up thoroughly. •Turn the adjusting screw [A] until the idle speed is correct.
○Open and close the throttle a few times to make sure that
the idle speed is within the specified range. Readjust if

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Checked the coil's. The results are:

L-R
coil 1 - P:1.6 S:9.5K
coil 2 - P:1.6 S:9.2K
coil 3 - P:1.5 S:9.3K
coil 4 - P:1.6 S:7.66K

From the manual:
Ignition Coil Winding Resistance
Primary Windings: 1.2 ∼ 1.6 Ω Secondary Windings: 8.5 ∼ 11.5 kΩ

Looks like the 4th coil is definitely lower on the secondary winding, which would certainly cause the problems I've seen. When i plugged the coils back in, I also noticed the coils were far from pushed in all the way. After i pushed them back in, the bike seemed to run much better right away!
I'll replace the 4th coil (once i get a replacement) and see if it fixes it up all the way!

Which brings me to another question. Anyone know a good place for OEM parts!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I kind of had the same symptoms before and I bought some used coil packs off ebay for $30 and switched them all. Problem solved. Sounds like you figured it out though!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts