Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a bone stock 2005 ZX6r in great condition which I brought a few months ago. I commute on it daily (around 17miles a day at least) and ride it occasionally at pace on the weekends (when time permits). Its got around 14,000 miles on the clock.

I clean and lube the chain when neccessary however as I'm new to the mechanical side of bikes (used to get my old one serviced professionally frequently) I wondered about other basic upkeep to help the bike stay at its best.

What should I be checking on the regular? And how often should it be in the shop for a full service?

help would be awesome!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Chain should be done most often. About every 200 miles I would say. Then u got ur engine oil. Check ur brake fluid and tire pressures every now n then.

Then u got lubing cables, wheel bearings, steering stem, radiator flush, brakes.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You can always check the owners manual for routine maintenance and pre-ride checks. You can refer to the factory service manual for all of the regular maintenance intervals. The two will tell you everything you need to know about what to check and when.

You can download the owners manual from the "owner center" on the Kawasaki.com web page.

You can download the factory service manual from the service manual section of this forum.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a bone stock 2005 ZX6r in great condition which I brought a few months ago. I commute on it daily (around 17miles a day at least) and ride it occasionally at pace on the weekends (when time permits). Its got around 14,000 miles on the clock.

I clean and lube the chain when neccessary however as I'm new to the mechanical side of bikes (used to get my old one serviced professionally frequently) I wondered about other basic upkeep to help the bike stay at its best.

What should I be checking on the regular? And how often should it be in the shop for a full service?

help would be awesome!
You should consult your owners manual for the scheduled maintenance intervals and what needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciated the help guys, this is great. I don't have my own manual but just found a download. thanks.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Things to consider are where are your usual riding routes? If you are close to the beach and salt air you're gonna wanna keep the lube cycles shorter. Likewise if live out towards the desert and ride throw blowing sand you're gonna wanna condense those service cycles. Whereas if you're more downtown you don't have the abrasive salt/sand, but you have more stop/go heated cycles.

It presently does not sound like you do much touring, but should you start, there are other things to attend to. The bottom line is, it sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it clean. Washing is a normal time for you to check chain tension, are bolts tight? What's the coolant level, etc?

If you don't have, get a quality rear stand - I've used a lot of cheaper brands but stopped when I bought my Pit Bull. Too many people cheapskate the front stand, again get a Pit Bull front stand. You are safer/your bike is safer with the design that has the (bike's specific brand {Kawasaki}) pin up the stem. Pit Bulls are slightly price-ier than other brands. But they are a quality product & worth every penny. You simply won't regret the investment. Invest in good tools, too.

Remember, there is a wealth of information on this sight. If you have questions by all means ask them. Like mother said, "... The only stupid question is the one that is never asked...."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts