Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 zx6r. After paying $300 for a valve adjustment in the beginning of the summer it started leaking from the valve cover gasket. I took it back to the shop they said something was caught in it and i was good to go. A few weeks later the clutch started making noise and it was leaking from the valve cover again. On the way to the shop it threw a rod. They said they would split the case for me and see if it was worth saving or if the crank was also damaged, but when he took off the clutch cover he saw that one of the bolts that the clutch springs screw into had backed out and chewed up the clutch cover and a bunch of other shit. So they gave me a parts list for the clutch parts thinking it wasn't a thrown rod but just a clutch problem. After cleaning out the oil pan and installing the $660 in parts they called to let me know it had also broken a rod after all.
They delivered it with a bill for $200 and didn't even bother to put the fairing back on. Should I even pay the bill for the labor? Originally, when they said it was a rod I was all set to have them swap the motor. I really don't want to part it out because it'd be just as much work to put a used engine in it. Any advice?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Pay the bill if you don't want a Lien on your title...

Get a used engine and do it yourself... It ain't rocket science like a car engine swap. Its a pull... and drop and wire up. Dedicate a weekend and get it done.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I dropped the engine on my 04 last year and the furthest I had gone before that was into the airbox, and I managed to get the bike back together properly. It looks and sounds a lot harder than it is. As long as you are a hands on person it shouldn't be a problem

Reactions: beckzach05

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
4 strokes are easy peasy man, just pull it, pulling the motor for the first time should take you 2 hours tops.
Or if you drink while doing it... You'll have the frame off in 1

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I remember my first time tearing apart a bike...

Parted it out a few months later because I forgot how to put it together
Yea those extra gears were only there to make noise, they didn't serve a function.

And don't worry about those little valve stem thingies, nothing that small ever NEEDS to be in a motorcycle.

Also you will only cuss a little when trying to put the top end over the rings and the crank moves causing your fingers to get pinched in between the two halves while the razor sharp edges slice your fngers open as you try to slide them out, "shudders" ..............Vietnam flashback..........

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts