Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

It's been a while since I have posted here, but I finally am getting to troubleshooting the fuel sensor issue I have with my bike.

My low fuel light has never gone on since I purchased it from the previous owner, which hasn't been too bad since I use the trip (but the light would be really nice to have!). I recently had the bike apart and had pulled the fuel pump to do some maintenance on that (it was making an odd noise, so I pulled/cleaned it out). It was not even remotely close to how bad I saw other peoples while I was researching how to fix my pump issue. However, my dumb ass forgot to troubleshoot the light while I had it apart! I was hoping cleaning the assembly would also solve that issue since it seemed to for others. Unfortunately, I was not that lucky!

I will be taking the bike back apart when I have the chance, but I was wondering about people's inputs on how I should go about this? Also, does anyone know if there is an aftermarket replacement that I can buy, or will I have to buy a new pump for the bike if it turns out to be dead? (whether its a full replacement for the pump or if the sensor itself can be replaced)

I'm not super knowledgeable in this area so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much info on troubleshooting the fuel level sensor in the service manual. But I did find this post that has a small bit of info that might be helpful: Low fuel light not working after bike left unused for a...
Yeah, that is the issue I have been having, not a ton of info for diagnosing to see if the fuel sensor is malfunctioning. One good piece of advice in your linked post was to remove the pump and see if the light goes on. I'll try that when I pull it out again! Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that is the issue I have been having, not a ton of info for diagnosing to see if the fuel sensor is malfunctioning. One good piece of advice in your linked post was to remove the pump and see if the light goes on. I'll try that when I pull it out again! Thanks!
Well I finally had time to get into the bike and disconnect the fuel pump to see if the fuel light would turn on. Sure enough, it did. Does anybody know if I have to go OEM fuel pump to fix this issue or is there a way to fix this without going for a full pump replacement? Also, is there any aftermarket options that I could go for that are recommended?

·
Registered
14,219 Posts
I stand by comments I have made on similar threads in the past. there is a float, in a tube, connected to the body of the fuel pump. That tube with the float inside will have a sensor on the outside, which is looking for the presence of the float.
The pump motor should only need two wires to run the pump, and that is controlled by the pressure sensor on the fuel rail.... whatever other wires there are, have to be associated with that sensor.

When all of the fuel evaporates out of a tank it leaves a tar like substance behind. Often called varnish. that stuff is either holding the float stationary, or blocking it from getting to the bottom of the range of motion it is supposed to have. If you can locate that tube, cleaning it out and cleaning up the float so it moves through tat tube freely should restore the low fuel light function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I had the same problem in my 07 ZX6R and I repaired it, here I explained how to do it to another with the same problem.

If you are interested I can explain the operating principle of the sensor / emitter (It does not work like a classic float like those of cars, but through a resistance sensitive to the change in temperature between being submerged in gasoline and dry when the level drops) and how to repair it, except that you want to buy a new pump.

Sorry if I'm not clear but my command of the English language is not the best

1 - 8 of 8 Posts