Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My 05 636 has an issue, it’s only when I’m going through second gear mid range when “hammering it” seems to slip for a fraction of a second.

At first I thought it was a clutch slip but had my mechanic have a go and he seems to think could be poor front sprocket teeth. Does it no other gear and only once in 2nd.

Anyone had any experience with this? Might be worth mentioning the guy I got the bike over said the gearbox had been rebuilt recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t no, but wouldn’t it do it in every gear?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, I had exactly the same experience and issue.
changed the clutch plates no change.
Searched the Internet and found that the shifter forks could be the issue, found damage on them, I changed them out for brand new ones, plus changed out the shift drum, and still no change.
In the end I bit the builet, dropped the engine and inspected the gears and sure enough it was the shift gear and 2nd gear had really minor damage from wear.
(shift gear where the shift forks sits in, some one will correct me on the terminology)

In short you may get away with replacing the selector forks or it'll be engine out with some new gears.

In the photos you can see the slight rounding on selecting/engagement teeth and slots.
It looks really minor but it was the cause of the jumping / slip in 2nd gear when giving it a hand full for me.

I hope this helps and it's the selector forks and not the gears like mine was.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Is it slipping or is it jumping out of gear?

Like Owerr said, the 05/06 had weak transmission parts that would wear out and cause it to jump out of gear. I had to open up the transmission on mine and replace the forks and gears.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven’t no, but wouldn’t it do it in every gear?

it is depends, sometime it is good to troubleshoot at simple and logic problem before go deeper, for example, before this I've facing jerking issue, you know what, I've tried to rectified almost all mechanical error possibilities, but at the end, it was electrical (sensor) issue actually. 🤦

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it slipping or is it jumping out of gear?

Like Owerr said, the 05/06 had weak transmission parts that would wear out and cause it to jump out of gear. I had to open up the transmission on mine and replace the forks and gears.
Hi mate - no it doesn’t jump, it just slips for a split second

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was only 2nd gear too.

If it was the clutch it'd be in the other gears too.

I'm more than certain you'll be changing the selector forks.

There's a diy thread on here somewhere, on how to change the selector forks and drum from the bottom of the engine.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Silly question, you try playing with the clutch cable adjustment (at level and at clutch cover pivot point)? Could just need to be tightened a little?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silly question, you try playing with the clutch cable adjustment (at level and at clutch cover pivot point)? Could just need to be tightened a little?
Would slip every gear wouldn’t it?

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Fair point...I believe you are correct sir. In any event, looks like the OP pulled the shift forks out and that's what was damaged in 2nd gear. Good to know!

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Would slip every gear wouldn’t it?

Clutch slip usually shows up first in the highest gear, because the mechanical advantage is least at the rear wheel. It’s supposed to move further for each crank rotation, which takes more engine torque to accomplish.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
There's a diy thread on here somewhere, on how to change the selector forks and drum from the bottom of the engine.
I have done it. Just take the clutch out, take the oil pan off and you can pull the fork shafts while the drum and trans are still in place. It takes some finesse to get everything back in but it is doable. Way less work than taking out the engine for sure.

Just have to leave the bike in neutral.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts