Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just would like a non-biased opinion (if possible). Im looking to buy another bike. For some reason none of the the new bikes really appeal to me but I have my eyes set between an 2006 636 or 2007 cbr600rr. Now I have searched around and seen that 636 sort of have some serious problems such as the ECU heating up, fuel pump going bad, and the transmission, so that kind of discourages me. Maybe thats just a small percentage. Havent found really anything on Hondas.

I own an 06 ZZR600 with 51,000 miles and never had any issues just crappy suspension. CBR600RR are known to be reliable but are a PITA to work on and are pretty bland. So would you guys still go for a 636 or just skip it?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I think most people would agree the zx6r is the better bike. But when it comes to reliability the Honda takes the cake. If you suck at fixing things, then u should probably stick with the Honda as u would probably enjoy it more.

I think the overheating ECU issue was only on the 05 models and was taken care of on the 06. My bike is an 06 and it still has its original ECU and fuel pump and has never given me issues. I actually dont think the fuel pump is a common issue on these bikes. I did have the busted transmission which I fixed myself....but Im pretty good at fixing shit. Its not really an easy job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had my '06 636 for nearly a year now and loved every minute of it, the friend I bought it off owned it for 12 years from new and tore the life out of it at places like the Isle of Man. The things never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
14,145 Posts
A good buy is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder. The PITA factor plays into that; the older a bike is, the more likely it is to have problems. The more owners a bike has gone through, the more likely it is to have owner induced problems.

When you get to 13+ year old bikes, the odds are very good that the bike has had more than one owner. Varying levels of technical expertise, knowledge, experience, differing priorities relative to scheduled maintenance all play into the reliability of a given motorcycle.

Japaneses bikes on the whole are fairly robust. do the scheduled maintenance, avoid modifications, max time at redline, and they will generally perform with little fanfare for more than 50K miles. 80-90K isn't a bad target, and that can be exceeded easily with regular scheduled maintenance. By that time, bearings and the like have been needing service for a while.

Having said all of that, my '09 has required more TLC than any bike I have owned before it. As I do not have direct experience with the '05-06 model, I can only go off anecdotal evidence as stated here.

Change all the fluids. Expect to change the chain, battery, possibly have electrical issues due to age and corrosion. Plan on upgrading the brakes -- lines at the least. Look into swapping all of the suspension fluids for fresh.

THEN worry about mods, and cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well I can say my 05 racebike was still fairly competitive (and extremely reliable) in club racing against bikes 10 years or more newer. The 636 is a great engine compared to even most newer 599s. Other than the expected issues with buying any vehicle over 10 years old, I don't think you can wrong with a 636!

Then again this is coming from a guy who's two street bikes are 25 and 22 years old. LOL!

Reactions: Gawernator

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had my 2005 since 2016 only 26500 miles and apparently I'm the tenth owner lots of mods and updates.

No ecu or fuel pump problems. Only problem I've had broken wire to horn and key lost coding to immobiliser no problem had spare key and master key.

Otherwise starts on the button and runs smooth as butter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I do most maintenance on my bike so I'm ok on that but not too deep like working on the tranny or forks. But I understand its an older bike but man even to this day it still looks sexy. I went to go check one out for $2500 at 25,000 miles and rides great. Oddly enough its actually pretty comfortable, since I was expecting it to have a real aggressive position. Guy looks like hes taken care of it since its his weekend toy. Decisions decisions.... I really will be thinking about it this weekend though. Appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Hey guys just would like a non-biased opinion (if possible). Im looking to buy another bike. For some reason none of the the new bikes really appeal to me but I have my eyes set between an 2006 636 or 2007 cbr600rr. Now I have searched around and seen that 636 sort of have some serious problems such as the ECU heating up, fuel pump going bad, and the transmission, so that kind of discourages me. Maybe thats just a small percentage. Havent found really anything on Hondas.

I own an 06 ZZR600 with 51,000 miles and never had any issues just crappy suspension. CBR600RR are known to be reliable but are a PITA to work on and are pretty bland. So would you guys still go for a 636 or just skip it?

Thanks
Why not just keep riding your 06 ZZR600?

I have an 07 ZZR600 with 95,000 miles, never misses a beat

and as far as your comment on "crappy suspension" they all have crappy suspension until you get it sorted out and set up for you!

@ 51k, have you replaced the bushings? changed the oil? changed the springs to be appropriate for you weight and riding?

I have a couple 06 ZX6R's as well........ I still like my ZZR600 way better! more midrange, hell just more power all the way up to about 9000-9500 rpms, so for a street bike it is simply a better bike! Unless all you do is ride above 10,500 all day everyday??? Because it isn't until then you actually notice any difference in power on a dyno, and via seat of the pants you probably never notice it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ riverszzr. Thats crazy almost 100K on your ZZR. Congrats, I've had it mine for about 9 years, Its my warhorse cuz its gone through hell but shes still kicking. Got it at about 2000 miles. Probably would have more miles on it but I stopped riding for about 2 years due to working overseas. I'am considering it making it like my project bike to learn how to work on it better.

I dont wheelie and I got a steering damper and shocks adjusted for my weight. Just doesnt seem to cut corners like it used to. Love the ergos. Its just me that I feel like getting something a little more "modern" if you will. In terms of power, meh not really all that concerned 600s are a good balance though.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
@ riverszzr. Thats crazy almost 100K on your ZZR. Congrats, I've had it mine for about 9 years, Its my warhorse cuz its gone through hell but shes still kicking. Got it at about 2000 miles. Probably would have more miles on it but I stopped riding for about 2 years due to working overseas. I'am considering it making it like my project bike to learn how to work on it better.

I dont wheelie and I got a steering damper and shocks adjusted for my weight. Just doesnt seem to cut corners like it used to. Love the ergos. Its just me that I feel like getting something a little more "modern" if you will. In terms of power, meh not really all that concerned 600s are a good balance though.

What tires are you running? and at what pressures?

and when you say " I had the shocks adjusted for my weight"........... do you mean someone spun the adjusters on preload and called it a day or do you mean you actually purchased the correct springs for your weight and had them installed -- huge difference!

what is your static sag?
what is your rider sag?
what is your swingarm angle?
are you running the wheelbase long or short?- At 51k you have changed chain/sprockets- so depending on geairng you could have changed this length easily
and of course my original question...... those peksy bushings and oil etc! have you replaced any of them? or atleast pulled them apart and cleaned, inspected and repacked the rear suspension bushings??? No way no how the fork bushings aren't toast long before now, hell you should be on your second set really

I believe it will be far cheaper and end up with a better end product to catch up on some of that "defferred" maintenance it sounds like has been neglected and make a few small improvements to your current ride, rather than try and sell a 51k bike and then buy someone elses used and abused 14 year old problems and figure those out and fix them!
Always better to work with the devil you know, IMO!

a few shots of mine, since it is so pretty and all

Attachments

Reactions: Todd and RJ2112

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
A few more, just cuz I am picture happy this am......... and well- My bike is awesome !!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
work safe maybe possibly of course it is unless you work for assholes

Threads without pictures make me sad.......... Now I am no longer sad............ lol

Now where is the boobies thread, I want to see pictures of boobies!!!
oh wait, I have a saved file for those
here let me share....

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Nothing buy positive things to say about the 06 zx6r. I had the 06 RR for 3 years and never had any major issues. Bought it with around 9k on the ODO and sold it with over 40k. My buddy has an 06 636 and just crossed over 90k miles on his. All of those miles with the biggest project being valve adjustments.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea sorry for the late replies, sadly I dont have a lot free time anymore. SpaceX hours are pretty damn crazy so sadly I dont have too much time to work on my bike. I have found an F4i for a good price and those bikes are well known for their reliability. Very similar to my ZZR600 just with FI. Might have to switch to the dark side and give Honda a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts