Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This noise has been happening for a while, I believe it is causing the fuel injection light to come on intermittently aswell as sometimes stuttering at high revs as if running out of fuel. The fuel light was blinking which I found was a fuel pump problem so I've replaced that and that's fixed the light problem but not the noise. After closer inspection the noise is coming from what I believe to be the sub throttle valve actuator but I'm not 100% sure. Any help would be amazing!

Here's a video I made of the problem/noise in action:

Engine ignition noise ZX6R B2H/B1H 2003/2004 - YouTube

The unit making the noise has "SHP-35D1003, NO. O4Y31" on it if that helps at all. Will be attaching a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Nice first post and welcome to the forum :p

Sounds as if its the Throttle body position sensor (TPS)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Any information on where to go from here would be great.

Cheers!
Adam

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Well....you got a few options....
1. Bring it to a stealer/dealer
2. Bring it to a motorcycle shop (no better than a stealer in my opinion)
3. Most people say (Manufacturer included) If the TPS is bad you must replace the entire TB system...
4. Buy just a TPS and swap it into your current TB, which is not recommended and not easy.

I say go #3, BUT.....New they run appx $1000, find one used on ebay WITH the sensors attached from a reputable seller with good ratings and return policy. Then just do a direct swap with the TB, I did this on my 636 and worked like a charm, and it should only run you appx $100-150 vs $1k.

Note: Both #3 and 4 are DIY (Do It Yourself), if you are mechanically inclined it will save you tons of $$$

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I don't see the need to replace entire TB, just replace the TPS & adjust it to spec...... just sayin'
You could just do that....like i said some people will.

I just know I had the same exact issue and the sensors costs appx $90 anyways, I was able to get a full TB assembly with the sensor used on ebay for that price, and no hassle of adjusting anything....plug and play lol (There is a risk that the used part will not work so your way may be better :O )

But like ive stated before....if your mechanically incline he can just do the sensor and swap it out.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Good job bro! :bigthumb:

That should do the trick...plug and play lol, good price too!

EDIT: Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You could just do that....like i said some people will.

I just know I had the same exact issue and the sensors costs appx $90 anyways, I was able to get a full TB assembly with the sensor used on ebay for that price, and no hassle of adjusting anything....plug and play lol (There is a risk that the used part will not work so your way may be better :O )

But like ive stated before....if your mechanically incline he can just do the sensor and swap it out.
that's even better!!!
i usually check the tps adjustment on new-to-me bikes or when i tune others bikes. in most cases, the setting from factory is at the edge of spec or even out a little in more cases than you'd think. it is (or should be if not) a part of routine maintenance

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
that's even better!!!
i usually check the tps adjustment on new-to-me bikes or when i tune others bikes. in most cases, the setting from factory is at the edge of spec or even out a little in more cases than you'd think. it is (or should be if not) a part of routine maintenance
How does one go about checking and adjusting the specs of the TPS? Perhaps I should look into that.....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Output Voltage at ECU
Standard: 1.02 - 4.62 V DC (at idle throttle opening to full throttle opening)

You can stab the wires at the TPS with straight pins & connect meter leads there to get the readings. go to the center wire & then either side to find which one reads closest to the low reading with the throttle at idle. the above info is for 03/04, but pretty sure pertains to 05/06 as this seems to be the same as most other tps's I've checked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Thank you Rickthefix!
You da man! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took a while but I have now fitted the new throttle bodies but it had the same TPS problem... either it's bad luck or that wasn't it! Either way, how difficult is it to replace just the TPS and what is needed to be done/where do I find out how to do it? :D

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
disconnect at connector. put meter on ohm & leads on tps pins, the 2 outer are prob full ohms. should have a stable reading. then put one of the leads on center pin, sssllllooowwwlllyyy rotate throttle as as you watch meter for a slow even transition either up the scale from close to 0 ohms to close to max value or it will go the opposite, from close to max to close to 0 ohms. There is a procedure for it in the service manual. find one on-line & download it. lots of good info & instructions. I think there is a link on this forum somewhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts