Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I have a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R, if i'm riding my bike and the rpm's hit around 8000 to 9000, when I come to a stop and the rpm's go back down, the bike begins to idle funny and the rpm's begin to drop below 1000 until it dies out. I can keep it from dying by giving it some throttle when i'm coming to a stop.

I put some Seafoam in the gas tank and rode the bike around for a good bit to see if it would fix the problem; everything seemed to run better except it still died out if the rpm's got to high. It never dies on me if I keep them low and ride at normal speeds. I also wanted to run some sea foam through a vacuum hose but wasn't sure which one to use so I never did it but when I was looking at the hoses I notice that I was missing a hose that attached the the bottom left of the air filter housing/air cleaner housing.

So my questions are:

-Where is the hose that is suppose to be attached the the air cleaner housing connect to on the other end? (Pics would be awesome!)
-What vacuum hose do I use to poor some Seafoam in? (Pics would be awesome!)
Do you have any other ideas on what it might be that is causing my bike to die?

Please Hepl!:hail: Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is doing the same $h!t. I just put in a K&N filter and new plugs and cleaned out the coils with Alcohol and q-tips. No hose goes on that side of the air box. That is a oil /gas drain. I just changed it so IDK if I fixed it. I got some bad Texaco gas once and it would every time on that gunk.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That missing hose is just an oil catch so it shouldnt affect your RPM.

Maybe try just adjusting it to idle around 1300, I think thats where its supposed to sit.

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
Try adjusting the idle. Does it cut out when you are accelerating? Or is it only at a stop that you lose idle?

It could be a few things.

Does it have any trouble starting back up?
Does it have trouble NOT starting?
Does it appear to be consistently related to that RPM range?
How many miles are on the bike?
When you say idle funny, how do you mean?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had this issue you on my 09 when i bought it. It kept dieing on me at lights and couldn't figure it out ended up my idle was turned down too low.

It wouldnt die if i road at low rpms but as soon as i got them up or if i rev'd it at a light it would bounce up and come down drop below the 1000 and die out. just my personal experience

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same issues with my carbed R6, it turned out to be the carbs needed to be synced. If you have a FI bike, it could be an air:fuel mixture issue or it could be as Monster said and your idle is set incorrectly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
what's an FL bike? I don't know what that light means. Once I dropped the bike over for a minute and it came on the bike wouldn't start for a minute. Then it did, all good now. Also is the idle adjuster that choke on the left handle? What do I do with that? It doesn't seem to affect anything unless i put it all the way towards me i roll faster when i just let off the clutch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It doesn't cut out when i'm accelerating. It cuts out when I accelerate fast then pull in the clutch and shot off the throttle when I'm coming to a stop; and when i'm warming it up, the rpm's start to drop then dies if I don't give it throttle. When the bike is warm and just sitting there the rpm's drop, pick back, drop, pick back up, run steady for a couple minutes then do it again.

It has no trouble at all starting back up.
There is only 10,763 miles on it.

I notice when i'm riding aggressively that there is a hesitation and the rpm's drop a little then the bike picks up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts