Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of converting a 2003 ZX6R to a track bike and would like to get the opinion of you guys on rear shock and how it performs on the track.

My plan was to fit some upgraded springs to the forks and get them refurbished, as I have heard that they are 'ok'. I've not heard great reviews about the rear shock however. My initial plan was to get the shock refurbished and then refit it and see how it performs (including setting it up to suit my weight etc). Does anyone have experience of how the standard shock performs on track? I should add that I am very much a novice so I wont be breaking any track records just yet.

Chris

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I would spend the money refurbishing an Ohlins or Penske or some other known aftermarket rear shock. Finding a unit on eBay to fit your bike shouldn't be too difficult, probably not that expensive either.... the cost of refurbishment is about the same whether it's OEM or known good aftermarket. The aftermarket shocks are built to be rebuilt. OEM use it and bin it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What RJ2112 said. Had my '03 rear OEM shock rebuilt earlier this year..Came out to about $250ish.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've not used my bike on the track...but the 03-04 636 was re-engineered from ground up to be track-ready. As long as the rear is setup correctly..it will do great on track.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
it is an 18 year old oem spec shock.

you are far better off buying a new shock, you can get a great penske for sub $1000 built for you. or you can spend far more for other brand name shocks....

of course rebuilding and revalving the oe shock with a proper spring is always an option, but........... it will never be as good as an aftermarket shock!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of converting a 2003 ZX6R to a track bike and would like to get the opinion of you guys on rear shock and how it performs on the track.

My plan was to fit some upgraded springs to the forks and get them refurbished, as I have heard that they are 'ok'. I've not heard great reviews about the rear shock however. My initial plan was to get the shock refurbished and then refit it and see how it performs (including setting it up to suit my weight etc). Does anyone have experience of how the standard shock performs on track? I should add that I am very much a novice so I wont be breaking any track records just yet.

Chris
Hi Chris, the standard shock worked well for me last year on track. I'm 6ft and 90kgs, i'm getting the shock upgraded with k-tech internals and spring setup by Matt at MTS suspension. He set my front and rear suspension for my weight and it gave me so much more confidence to push the bike harder. I was doing 55s lap times at Brands Indy in inters 1 group. Hoping this year to improve that time to about 53s as i was cocking my gearing abit throught the day. Once the suspension is sorted i had much more feel through the front end and i was able to push the front much harder. I did quite a few powerslides coming onto the front straight as i could feel the back and had the confidence to play with it. I hope this helps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts