Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an 2003 Im working on and I'm getting really low fuel pressure on 3 different fuel pumps. Tested with a fuel pressure tester. When I first put in a new pump I noticed the previous owners did not put a sock on the bottom of the old fuel pump. So Im sure the filter inside the black housing is clogged. I was wanting to know what the options were besides buying a new $450 filter/housing combo. What year zx6rs dont have the housing filter that can go into a 2003? Same bolt pattern, etc. Is there a way to remove the filter in an 03? Or is there another aftermarket solution that isnt close to $500? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The filter sock is the same on all these fuel pumps..........
and just becasue Kawaksi feels it is a permanent filter on its street bikes they do list the part as replaceable ont ehir UTV's and ATv's and it is the same fucking pre filter

FILTER-FUEL
49019-0013
$11.46

that said you absolutely want the filter installed!!!

As far as your fuel pumps, are you sure it is not your guage or measuring method? what kind of psi are you getting out of these 3 replacement pumps? I have seen and used a few different of those cheapo ones from ebay/amazon and they routinely are 43 or 43.5psi and pump at or above the required flow as layed out in the oe service manual

You only need the pump itself, not the entire body it sits inside unless something is wrong with your pump housing...

the Quantum and the Kemso are the two most recently installed without issue, both bikes have been running fine and working for months on those pumps so far withotu issue........ I am not sure how the longevity of these "cheap" aftermarket pumps will be compared to the oe pumps but I have had a few bikes on the "cheap" aftermarket pumps for about a decade now without issue.......

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These images were sent to me by a mechanic. He said the housing has a filter inside like that. Not sure if the previous pic is the actual housing or if its just an example. But Im not gonna try to open the housing on mine to see if its the same or not until I find a solution/replacement. I did a search and found people saying the housing can get clogged due to the filter inside the housing. Mechanic also said its a "common issue" on 03/04s.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
View attachment 109237 These images were sent to me by a mechanic. He said the housing has a filter inside like that. Not sure if the previous pic is the actual housing or if its just an example. But Im not gonna try to open the housing on mine to see if its the same or not until I find a solution/replacement. I did a search and found people saying the housing can get clogged due to the filter inside the housing. Mechanic also said its a "common issue" on 03/04s.
Your "mechainc" is an idiot and I would run far far away from anyone with no brains, no skills, no knowledge and obviously he wants to use you as the guinea pig for him to learn he is wrong and get paid while doing so.....

RUN don't walk away from that fucking retard dipshit of stupid ignorance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell your mechanic that this is the gasoline filter that is in the base of the fuel pump.
Already know that. I call it a "sock" in my original post. Thats not the issue. I tried it with 3 different brand new pumps and 2 brand new filters/"socks". All giving it out low pressure. My post is refering to this supposed " internal filter" that I've seen people bring up on other forums and that this mechanic tried to explain to me. I've read and was told that it only exists in the 03/04 and Kawi learned their mistake and changed the design right away to a fully enclosed housing moving forward and removed this "internal filter". Again thats what I was told and what I read. Its not hard to see the 03/04 differences right away from later years. The mini fuel pressure regulator is out in the open in the 03/04s. Its fully enclosed on the 05 and up. The outlet port has an o-ring going to the enclosed housing on 05 and up, 03/04 doesnt. Newer housings are also a 2 piece design vs the 1 black piece of the 03/04. Im sure there is more just not remembering off the top of my head. If the housing was serviceable I would have opened it up already to see whats going on inside.

Also, just to clarify I'm the one doing the work. I changed out the pumps myself and am testing it myself. I work on old cars for a living. Bikes are just a hobby of mine, I run into the occasional problem just as anyone learning a new machine. The mechanic that sent me those pics owns a motorcycle shop. I've worked on his cars before. Im not paying him for anything, I just asked for advice and he sent me those pics trying to explain one possible option. I dont see any incentive for him to lie to me.

Im already ignoring the other guy who responded. Seems he is mad at the world, I dont bother with sad people like that.

Im looking for solutions more than anything. As I've said, Ive been reading other sources and forums and Im afraid I've found an answer to one of my questions. People are saying that the 03/04 housing, (the black part with the arrow that I posted) does clog up and that its not serviceable. And seeing as the previous owner did not have the filter/"sock" on the bottom when I got the bike, he might have clogged the housing all up. Not enough fuel can be pushed through, thus the low pressure on every pump. So that answers one of my questions. If that housing is clogged up and non serviceable then I might as well cut it open and see exactly why it clogs up. I'll post my findings once I get a replacement and Ill cut open the old housing.

So the remaining question would be, which year zx6r or other model fuel pump assembly is a direct fit for an 03/04 zx6r? Cause it looks like that is the only solution to not having to pay $450+.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I understand, I put the image of the sock filter thinking that you do not know it and just to give an orientation. I would disassemble the pump, remove that paper filter, clean everything and adapt a sock filter, in case it could not be done, I would put an injection car filter outside the tank on the line that goes from this to the injection ramp.

Video that can help you:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts