Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to be slipping in 3rd gear, 1st and second are good but 3rd... theres something wrong haha. If I skip from 2nd to 4th and so on it's fine. But 3rd has no power and Im not sure if it's clutch or gear box problem. Sorry if this isn't detailed enough. But thanks if anyone has advice.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
"slipping" usually would mean clutch

But by your super vague and non descript description it is likely gear box............. can you hear or feel sudden jumps in the gear box?

how many miles and how has it been treated?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"slipping" usually would mean clutch

But by your super vague and non descript description it is likely gear box............. can you hear or feel sudden jumps in the gear box?

how many miles and how has it been treated?

Hi, so when I go into 3rd its kind of like a juddering slipping feel. It does not like 3rd gear. Yeah its like sudden jumps.

Bike has around 27k miles. It's been treated fairly well from what ive seen. Has mot and service history. Its really hard for me to explain. Theres pretty much no information on youtube or google. Ive searched quite abit.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Pics of the chain and close ups of the sprocket teeth would help eliminate potential causes.
Sounds like he is claiming it only happens in one single gear........... doubtful it would be chain/sprocket related, but who knows with the quote and no post and the vague details in the first post....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill try and describe in more detail whats happening. Thanks for replies so far.

So as Im setting off, First and second gear work as they should. When i shift into third gear and apply throttle it jumps/slips/judders untill I go up to 4th the it stops and the rest of the gears are fine too. Seems to be just 3rd gear that theres a problem with.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That particular shift fork and/or gear is getting damaged and not sufficiently holding it in gear and when it's jumping out, it causes it to judder on you. Might get lucky (pending on your engine design) and might be able to throw in a new set of shift forks if you drop the oil pan...or might require splitting the case. I'm not knowledgeable on those engine designs.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
That particular shift fork and/or gear is getting damaged and not sufficiently holding it in gear and when it's jumping out, it causes it to judder on you. Might get lucky (pending on your engine design) and might be able to throw in a new set of shift forks if you drop the oil pan...or might require splitting the case. I'm not knowledgeable on those engine designs.
I was able to replace the forks this why on my 96', I'm sure it would be possible on most - if not all - zx6r models

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to replace the forks this why on my 96', I'm sure it would be possible on most - if not all - zx6r models
  1. Well thats good news haha thanks for the comment! How much was yours? My usual garageis closed atm due to covid... But one near my work is open atm. Gonna ring him tomorrow. Hopefully not too much but justwant whats best for the bike aha

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
  1. Well thats good news haha thanks for the comment! How much was yours? My usual garageis closed atm due to covid... But one near my work is open atm. Gonna ring him tomorrow. Hopefully not too much but justwant whats best for the bike aha
So if you go the route of trying to pop in new shift forks first, just order the forks (and maybe the drum too) from a reputable cite. I tend to use bikebandit because they have exploded views if all the sections/parts.

You may want to take the time to get to know your bike - start removing parts per the manual to take off your oil pan, then open up your clutch case and remove your clutch. You'll find easy access to the dowels that hold the forks, and you'll see the bearing for the drum. It's not too complex.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts