Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for some help, my 02 636 has been left under cover in my garage since last summer, when I took it out yesterday the battery was obviously flat, so myself and a friend tried in our wisdom to jump start it off my van's battery.... However this didn't work. I'm pretty sure I managed to get the immobilized to beep twice using the key fob at the very first attempt but I don't know what I done because ever since then the button on the fob is doing nothing. The clocks are lighting up but the bike will not start, when I press the starter button there is a clicking noise coming from the fuse box area under the seat but the starter is not going at all. I fear I may have immobilized the bike? Or could the fob battery be dead? Or does the battery need a proper charge? I just Don't know... Any help and next steps would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Craig.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
As it's a 12 year old bike, I'd take it as a matter of course the battery is dead and needs to be replaced.

When you take it out, go through the harness and make sure all the electircal connections are clean, and free of corrosion. Any powdery stuff inside the connectors is going to make the electrics work harder, as almost all corrosion is non conductive.

Get all of them you can, to bright shiny metal. Then treat each connection with dielectric grease as you put them back together. That will prevent any oxygen and moisture from getting in there and repeating the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RJ, thanks for that, I hear what you're saying but the connections are all ok and I wasn't having any trouble with the electrics last year. I've plugged it in to a new battery today and all the lights, horn, clocks etc are working but still nothing when I press the fob button, when I press the starter, there is still the click from the fuse box area under the seat but nothing else. I'm wondering if the datatag alarm or immobilizer (not sure exactly what it is) could need reset as it has been dead flat all winter?
As you've probably gathered I'm no use at all with electrics :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a Metasystem M357t alarm & immobiliser fitted to the bike... I've found some information on how to fault find with it so I'll give it a go and post the results later, just incase anyone else ever comes across this same issue in future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up having to remove the alarm/immobiliser altogether after replacing the key fob batteries and fitting a brand new battery it still wouldn't disarm. Very strange as nothing else had changed except the battery going flat over winter... More hastle than its worth so it is now in the bin. Really hope no-one else has this problem with the Metasystem 357 alarms. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts