Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there new to the forum so I'm trading my 2020 Grom for a 01 zx600r has extended swing arm custom paint and delete kit for tail nice bike is there anything certain I should look for on these? Thank you have a great day

· Registered
16,720 Posts
Thinking in terms of maintenance issues on a 20+ year old bike, compared to your clone which is effectively new.... value is in the eye of the beholder.

The expenses you can realistically expect on that 2001 to get it to a safe state are an unknown. Some things are more obvious than others; tires, leaks, suspension problems, electrical issues, brake issues..... if you know the history of the bike and know who has done the work ($150/hr+ at the shop), you could end up with a good bike. That's not really the expectation I would have going in. Custom paint, extended swingarm, loud exhaust typically don't do much for the value of a bike. Extra lighting and such almost always have some latent issue you will inherit.

One of the main questions I would be asking myself would be, why is someone who has a 600, willing to trade it for a Grom? The much more typical progression is to go up in power and displacement, than down.

If the '01 you're considering has been through the wringer..... it may take multiple thousands of dollars to make it a safe and reliable street bike. All depends on your desired use. It's worth far more if it is a one owner bike than some ratted out refugee of many abusive previous owners. Sometimes you can't fix all of the things that can go wrong. Certainly not at a price point that makes it worth doing. If you have to spend more in repairs than the thing could ever be sold for, you better make sure you have a very strong attachment to that particular bike.

· Registered
16,720 Posts
When were the valve clearances last checked? How about the filters? Brake fluid? How old is the battery? How many miles on the chain and sprockets?

When you looked at it, did you start the bike from cold?

· Registered
16,720 Posts
Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions..... each of the things I am mentioning has a $ amount associated with getting it done. If you don't have proof that it has been done recently, that's stuff you have to think about paying for yourself.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I g t it but those are are regular maintaince things idk I'm not a new bike guy I like the older styles and I have bikes thts needed a lot of things but still ran just fine and did the job but it has a new chain and sprockets has new tires front forks are great it was just painted the plastics are great the carbs were just redone he has records my bike isn't perfect it needs some things he already has other bikes he wants the Grom for his little brother

· Registered
16,720 Posts
I didn’t bother mentioning all the maintenance issues that are typically ignored over the life of a bike. At 20+ years old, the wiring is almost certainly going to be flaky. Switches have a limited number of cycles ….. between wear, corrosion, and damage from simply sitting still, there’s a limit. Rubber hoses and lines, gaskets….. all degrade with age.

Fuel tanks tend to corrode on the inside

· Registered
16,720 Posts
So you basically trade a $1300 grom wannabe for a 21 yr old modified bike….

Looking at that photo, I would think it would be about an equal trade, and as a result you would have many dollars to spend to get it reliable.

That’s one of the longest swing arm extensions I’ve ever seen. Must be near a foot farther back than OEM. The bent clutch lever, the tiny led signal lights, what looks like a wrap or plasti dip coating on the body, the axle mounted license plate…..

If this is your first street bike that can break 55mph, I’d save up a couple thousand dollars more and buy something else.

· Registered
302 Posts
Hey there new to the forum so I'm trading my 2020 Grom for a 01 zx600r has extended swing arm custom paint and delete kit for tail nice bike is there anything certain I should look for on these? Thank you have a great day
Personally I would never own or ride a bike with an extended swing arm due to safety concerns. I wouldn't trust someone else's work but that's just me.

Reactions: riverszzr

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Disregarding the trade,

Looks like the bike has definitely been down before, the left side stator cover in the picture shows damage from a slide.

Ride the bike down the road, if the steering is off, that may indicate a fall/bent fork.

Check the steering stop works both ways/at all.

Check all the brake calipers for wetness and look at the brake lines for tears/sweating.

Look behind the fairings at the connection points to the frame. Tabs should all be in place and supported by factory hardware. I'm assuming the "fresh paint" is a chinese fairing painted a different color (as is normal for 20 y/o bikes).

My 96' has a slew of these issues - they're common and you'll pay 4-5x the amount it's worth fixing it up, only for other things to break. If you're dedicated (or a madman), it can be worth reviving a fossil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts