Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i suspect that the starter relay is on its way out, can anyone tell me if i have to get a relay off a 2001 model or are they all the same ie: will a relay from any model do??? any help appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when pressing the starter button sometimes starts sometimes it dosnt, when it dosnt start the relay is buzzing its tits off, and sometimes the relay fails to pull in at all, its a fully charged battery, corect voltage and amps from a cold crank, bike starts everytime if i short the relay out

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Get a brand new one mate... it's really not worth getting a second hand one

take it from an electrical engineer that works with this sort of equipment all the time :)

I got mine off eBay for about £20 brand new about a month ago :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a brand new one mate... it's really not worth getting a second hand one

take it from an electrical engineer that works with this sort of equipment all the time :)

I got mine off eBay for about £20 brand new about a month ago :)
wa this one you bought for a j1, or will any year do??

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
How does one "short the relay out?
Typically they'll just go bad due to being dirty, but if there's a short, or I've seen a bad starter pulling way too much power pop one. It's just a switch... they can go bad.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
How does one "short the relay out?
Just connect the lugs on the relay with a big screw driver, or other metal object. That’s what a relay does: it completes the circuit after a signal is given from the start button to energize a magnet that allows the wires connected to the relay to complete the circuit. You’re just doing the job for the relay by bypassing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts