Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue number 1: Bike starts normal idles normal soon as I'm ready to take off I bring the kick stand up and hit down for 1st gear bike cuts off :huh: this is the third time its happened even when I bring the kick stand up I pull it up to make sure its fully up for sure. It didn't do it last night but this morning it did. simple fix I assume.

Issue number 2: Bike is bogging down very harsh when I'm on it out of no where and feels like its trying to throw me over the bars. This started Wednesday after filling up 93 at Exxon. I can be cruising in any gear and it will bog down I have to shift up for it to stop and give it gas. it basically feels like someone closing the throttle hard, I don't know if it has anything to do with how much free play is on my throttle it takes more than a slight twist of the wrist to give it gas. This morning again pulling out the garage in first gear doing no more than 5mph it bogged down and died on me. Is this bad gas? over filling the tank?

I'm carless right now and this bike is the only way I get around besides my girlfriend driving me around so much help is appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
For the first issue, likely a sticky kickstand switch/sensor. Clean and oil and you should be good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What am I looking for with the fuel pump? hoses should I check for cracks or any bad connections?

Also what am I cleaning on on the kickstand. sorry for the questions I just like be spot on with this stuff.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
What am I looking for with the fuel pump? hoses should I check for cracks or any bad connections?

Also what am I cleaning on on the kickstand. sorry for the questions I just like be spot on with this stuff.
Kickstand sensor is probably dirty or loose. Its located on the kickstand itself. Tighten it down, see if it helps. If not, prolly needs to be cleaned on the inside.

The bogging issue could be dirty gas/water in gas. Start with the easy stuff...drain it, refill with new gas from a different station. See how it runs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kickstand sensor is probably dirty or loose. Its located on the kickstand itself. Tighten it down, see if it helps. If not, prolly needs to be cleaned on the inside.

The bogging issue could be dirty gas/water in gas. Start with the easy stuff...drain it, refill with new gas from a different station. See how it runs.

Alright I will start there. I assume draining it isn't just taking the tank off and pouring that son a gun in a field right? Because that sounds like the easiest way to me haha

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Alright I will start there. I assume draining it isn't just taking the tank off and pouring that son a gun in a field right? Because that sounds like the easiest way to me haha
Thats exactly what I was talking bout actually lol.

But its prolly easier if u just stick a hose in there and syphon it out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quick update guys. i was taking the tank off and as i was going to disconnect the connector from the fuel pump i saw a brown connector that wasn't plugged to anything so i popped that back in. not sure what it goes to but its back on.

secondly looks like someone already spliced into the kickstand sensor and did a poor job. I hacked it good enough for the time to make sure that was the issue so it goes in gear now without cutting off but soon as you try to start moving it cuts again. What is my next step here?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you mean it cuts out again when you start moving or when you release the clutch lever?

Did you take a pic of the brown connector?

jimundascores

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean it cuts out again when you start moving or when you release the clutch lever?

Did you take a pic of the brown connector?

jimundascores

Starts to cut out again when releasing the clutch. Lemme guess there's a sensor on that too right haha

·
Registered
503 Posts
The brown connector is to your fuel pump.. Check that the hose is good also, It should have play.. Should be able to wiggle it back n forth without it coming off... check the hose as it says in the manual.

And on my 03 sometimes due to vibration my kickstand would start to fall and try and cut the motor out while rolling.. Make sure that isn't happening to you

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Starts to cut out again when releasing the clutch. Lemme guess there's a sensor on that too right haha
Yes, but all that does is prevent you from starting the bike in gear.

Does the bike move and choke and die? Or does it shut off as soon as the lever is released?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The brown connector is to your fuel pump.. Check that the hose is good also, It should have play.. Should be able to wiggle it back n forth without it coming off... check the hose as it says in the manual.

And on my 03 sometimes due to vibration my kickstand would start to fall and try and cut the motor out while rolling.. Make sure that isn't happening to you
Guys I'm honestly annoyed at this point with this damn bike. It does it and it doesn't do it sometimes. AS SOON as I put it in first it cuts off. Then sometimes it comes on and a second later it will cut. I re-stripped the wires put on new connectors and taped it all back up. Is this still the kickstand? At this point I just want to cut the sensor off will that solve my problems?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, but all that does is prevent you from starting the bike in gear.

Does the bike move and choke and die? Or does it shut off as soon as the lever is released?
It shuts off soon as you put it in gear and sometimes just releasing the clutch

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
There are a total of three idiot switches that can prevent the bike from running. Clutch, side stand, and neutral switch.

The bike should always start in neutral.

The bike should start in gear, with the clutch pulled in, with the side stand up.

The bike SHOULD NOT start in gear, with or without the clutch pulled in, with the side stand down.

Working out which one is stuck in the wrong position, or is wired incorrectly is a bit of a PITA.... if at all possible, I'd recommend having them in place and functional.

Best cure I know for sticky micro switches is to flood the thing with WD-40, and work the plunger(s) until it(they) move(s) freely.

It's most common for the side stand switch to act up... it's closest to the road, so it gets wet, and dirty more than the other ones. Second, the clutch switch. It too is in the weather -- and things get dicey when levers get swapped out.

The neutral switch is inside the transmission case -- those don't go bad very often, at all. The wires going to it may be damaged and are worth inspecting.

If all else fails you can jumper across the pins on the switch and short them out. If your problem goes away when you short out a switch, that's the bad switch.

Again, I'd replace it if you can't get it to work properly.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
The clutch switch is right at the lever, on the lower side of the housing beside the pivot point. You'll see the little button sticking out, and the tab on the lever that is meant to hit it. With the lever all the way out (released) it should push the plunger in. If the plunger is stuck in that position, the bike won't know when you have pulled in the lever.

The actual switch is about the same size as the one on the side stand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The clutch switch is right at the lever, on the lower side of the housing beside the pivot point. You'll see the little button sticking out, and the tab on the lever that is meant to hit it. With the lever all the way out (released) it should push the plunger in. If the plunger is stuck in that position, the bike won't know when you have pulled in the lever.

The actual switch is about the same size as the one on the side stand.
Okay sweet. That sounds like what is actually going on between that and the stand I'm starting to wonder if it's the clutch switch now. It has after market levers on it and funny enough my clutch is very hard to pull in.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
The clutch switch is only there to prevent you from starting the bike in gear. Thats all it does. It can not shut the engine off after it has already been started...even if it was faulty. Thats ruled out.

Same with the neutral switch.

The only one that can shut off a running engine is your kickstand switch. You said you put new connectors on there. That wont help. The issue is most likely internal....you would have to open up the switch and clean the shits inside. But before u do all that, its easier to just bypass it for testing purposes. Connect the wires together. Your bike should now start with the kickstand in either position.

Try that first. Report back! Stop guessing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The clutch switch is only there to prevent you from starting the bike in gear. Thats all it does. It can not shut the engine off after it has already been started...even if it was faulty. Thats ruled out.

Same with the neutral switch.

The only one that can shut off a running engine is your kickstand switch. You said you put new connectors on there. That wont help. The issue is most likely internal....you would have to open up the switch and clean the shits inside. But before u do all that, its easier to just bypass it for testing purposes. Connect the wires together. Your bike should now start with the kickstand in either position.

Try that first. Report back! Stop guessing.
Haha alright here is my follow up question. How the hell do I bypass it? & is it as easy as pulling the switch off and just blowing it out?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts