Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I have a 2022 ZX6R just hit 2100 miles and never did the break in oil change, Getting the oil changed today after work and am wondering if there is something I can add to the oil or how much damage I could have caused running the break in oil for this long? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
134 Posts
So long story short I have a 2022 ZX6R just hit 2100 miles and never did the break in oil change, Getting the oil changed today after work and am wondering if there is something I can add to the oil or how much damage I could have caused running the break in oil for this long? Thanks for the help!
I’m sure it will be fine. “Break in oil” is more or less just conventional oil without additives and detergents. 2,000 miles is not all that crazy. While you should have changed it at (600 Miles) you can’t go back now. Change the oil and move on. It’s nice and broke in now that’s for sure lol.

Dis you beat the hell out of it during those 2K miles?

Reactions: GEB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sure it will be fine. “Break in oil” is more or less just conventional oil without additives and detergents. 2,000 miles is not all that crazy. While you should have changed it at (600 Miles) you can’t go back now. Change the oil and move on. It’s nice and broke in now that’s for sure lol.

Dis you beat the hell out of it during those 2K miles?
This is my first bike so it hasn't been rode super hard. A couple little pulls here and there but mainly just steady cruising. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Biggest problem is if you have an engine warranty issue it can bite you pretty bad but otherwise probably OK. For others that read this thread I recommend changing at or before 600 miles and if there are any issues with the bike then take it to the dealer and have the service done and oil changed and the warranty issue resolved.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Biggest problem is if you have an engine warranty issue it can bite you pretty bad but otherwise probably OK. For others that read this thread I recommend changing at or before 600 miles and if there are any issues with the bike then take it to the dealer and have the service done and oil changed and the warranty issue resolved.
+1
With some Dealers any Warranty claim can be thrown out regardless of what your trying to claim for, Go in for something minor and the first thing they want to see is the Service History.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a guy on here now with a blown motor. Piston and valves played paddy cake bakers man. And Kawasaki turned him down even on his extended warranty. They found a little oil quart bottle cellophane seal inside of the motor. Now he just has a bike in pieces. I’d be so upset.

I just think it a shame how places convince us to buy stuff, then convince us to purchase extended warranties to protect that stuff, then convince us as to why the extended warranty doesn’t extend to us.…

My bike has no warranty at all, so if something happens I’m up the creek. But, I’m prepared to go down that road and fix it my self no matter what it is. I’m gonna figure it out and do it to it. (Hopefully nothing happens though) lol.

Your motor is probably just fine though.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
The oil installed in by the dealer when the bike was purchased new is just whatever bulk oil they install in all bikes at oil changes............. it is nothing different than the oil people normally run who get oil changes there.

that said, there is so much "debris" left in the engines from all the machining processes in building an engine....honing, machining threads, surfacing etc...........

I have no idea why anyone would not get that stuff out of the engine asap.............

I do not ever run any brand new or just rebuilt engine more than 20-25 miles before dumping the oil and filter! and they are always a glittery haze of fine speckles or metal.......
I do not want that shit circulating around witihn the engine and through the oil pump and the fact there is so much of it in the oil pan draining out means the oil filter has not done its job in catching all of it and cannot---bypass valve for starters where som oil is always bypassed past the oil filter after the pump, but the filters simply are not that effective for the fines....
My regiment;
20-25 miles on first oil change
less than 600 miles on second oil change
then go to my normal oil change intervals (in my case it is something around 3000-3500 on the street bike...and something ~1000 miles on the track bike)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts