Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me what i should expect to get out of 1st gear its a 1997 zx6r i read some were that they where saying 85mph in first, mine screams it nuts off by 20mph is it just the newer ones that can do this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that. my rev counter does'nt hit the red till 14 thousand can i push every gear up to say 11 or 12 thousand?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
thanks for that. my rev counter does'nt hit the red till 14 thousand can i push every gear up to say 11 or 12 thousand?
You can push it well beyond 14k! WFO open baby, that's how you win the races! Just hold it there while it bounces off the limiter.

·
Super Moderator
13,282 Posts
You can if you like:
Unnecessary leo attention
Being "that guy"
Running your engine harder than necessary

Or you could set it back to stock gearing...

Last time I had mine on the street, she could break most speed limits in first...

Ey3

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
He is talking about a 1997........

1st gear is not nearly like newer 600's (so it never was going to go 60 in 1st gear)

15/40 is the stock gearing, if you can see a 40 on the rear you may well have a 13 or 14 on the front, and 1st gear may redline at 30 or so--I believe stock gearing they did in the low 40's in first gear was it......

Somewhere online you surely could look up a gearing calculator- and even specs of what the bike did for top speed at redline in each gear

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool is not that i want to break all the speed limits or cane the engine, just want a bike that can go fast without breaking the engine, last bike i had was a drz 400 sm, and that would be screaming it ass off at 70mph. so what is front and back teeth ratio stock?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is talking about a 1997........

1st gear is not nearly like newer 600's (so it never was going to go 60 in 1st gear)

15/40 is the stock gearing, if you can see a 40 on the rear you may well have a 13 or 14 on the front, and 1st gear may redline at 30 or so--I believe stock gearing they did in the low 40's in first gear was it......

Somewhere online you surely could look up a gearing calculator- and even specs of what the bike did for top speed at redline in each gear
just seen this

·
Registered
985 Posts
can someone tell me what i should expect to get out of 1st gear its a 1997 zx6r i read some were that they where saying 85mph in first, mine screams it nuts off by 20mph is it just the newer ones that can do this?
No, your bike is not the current gen bike, it's a '97. Around 35, maybe 40 tops. Keep in mind the '97 zx put out about 86hp while the current 2015 puts out about 112hp or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried to lower the tachometer until it turned red at 14000, and then increased each gear to 12000. This is no problem! I put the detailed records here! Can take a look

1 - 13 of 13 Posts