Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all

i have a 07 ZX6R and i was supposed to get it serviced at 500 miles..

never got around to it i'm nearly at 1300 miles now

i'm not causing any damage to the bike by holding off, am i?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you change the oil and filter, tighten the chain and adjust the clutch at a minimum?

If not than the answer is yes it is not good for the bike.

Also if you did not do this and do not have the receipts to show you did it you may run into issue trying to get warranty repairs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Warranty will be void.

The first service is important, they flush all the s**t out the engine during the oil change.I would get it done A.S.A.P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah I have to get mine done too, I am at 1900. The mech. there said it has to be done before 2000 even though the warrenty says 600. I just dont want to pay almost $400 to get the shit done. its a rip

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah I have to get mine done too, I am at 1900. The mech. there said it has to be done before 2000 even though the warrenty says 600. I just dont want to pay almost $400 to get the shit done. its a rip
:hmm:

My dealership charges $160 (that is all I paid tax and everything)

The reason why they tell you to get a oil change so soon is so you can flush any metallic shavings out of your engine. I (personally) think it should be sooner. It is a new, aluminum engine with extremely fast moving parts. That is the main reason.

To get a double check on everything else is always a good thing. It is also a good chance to get your chain relubed. I got my clutch lever readjusted as well. It was way too close in initially.

To each his own, but I'd get that knocked out if I were you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do not pay $400 do it yourself.

You can buy the factory service manual for under $65.00 and oil and filter should be under $50.00.

That's allot less that $400 and the manual is one of the best investments you can make.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
hey all

i have a 07 ZX6R and i was supposed to get it serviced at 500 miles..

never got around to it i'm nearly at 1300 miles now
Yeah I have to get mine done too, I am at 1900.
I've just shed two tears :bawling

Hopefully you filters are doing what they should be doing and filtering out any crud. The screen in the sump should be stopping anything big from even getting to the filter.

I just hope they really don't use a special running in oil from the factory. :eek

There's no excuse for going 2 to 3 X the service interval. In the future don't be riding on tyres that are 1000 miles past their use by date either :bitchslap

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Jesus guys, get it done quick. If you see what your oil looks like after just 500km you wouldn't have let it go this far. The little bits of metal floating around isn't doing your engine any good!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am tryin to find a kawi dealer that will do it for a reasonable price. I mean 400 is alittle out there! That could be my frame sliders/windscreen/ect... but I know I wouldnt be able to get those things if I dont have a bike

·
Registered
316 Posts
The first service is FREE you only pay for parts, i.e. oil, filters and flush. Cost me £46.

Check with your dealer cos I think it's a Kawasaki that do the deal and not the bike shop.

Well it is in the UK anyway

I mean think about it you pay 1000's of $ for a brand new bike and you wont pay $? for a service, dont add up to me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am tryin to find a kawi dealer that will do it for a reasonable price. I mean 400 is alittle out there! That could be my frame sliders/windscreen/ect... but I know I wouldnt be able to get those things if I dont have a bike
Or you could put the 400 towards a new engine

·
Registered
311 Posts
im doing it in the next couple of days. Probably tuesday. I just think its a rip to pay them bastards 400 to do something that should cost around 200

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did it myself with a friend,....... nothing to worry about anymore. Do the carbs really need to be balanced?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I did mine myself as well, It does not void the warranty to do the first service yourself regardless of popular belief, dont let those dealers use scare tatics to take your money hwen the initial service is so simple. My dealer wanted $240 but It only cost me 40 for the new filter & oil, Therefore I saved 200 bukks.

Here is a very good website about the 600 mile service <a href="http://motorcycles.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=motorcycles&cdn=autos&tm=14&gps=150_457_1007_579&f=00&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/">Click Here</a>. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would never even wait 500 miles for the first oil change, more like 50! It costs closer to $30 to do an oil change, not 400 - the rest of the stuff can wait a bit if it must, but fresh oil is importaint:yes

·
Registered
25 Posts
what the???? $400 my dealership in oz charges me $150 and gives me a loan bike for the day...shop around get a good deal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts