Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here with a 1997 ZX6r f3

Hello everyone. I am embarking upon a 'Get it on the road' project with the bike in the title. I've just finished, and sold, a Ducati. I made no money, but that was never the point - My user name is an acronym of 'Home (for) Unwanted And lost Motorcycles', which is what I seem to have become!
I bought the Ducati, which had been languishing in the owner's garage for eight years,in June 2010 and it took me five years of stop/start progress to get it done.
The ZX6r had been sitting for a similar amount of time, and I acquired it eighteen months ago; When I say 'acquired', the owner GAVE it to me!!!!
It's been down the road, on its right hand side, but is straight enough. I think the slide may have been the reason that the previous owner gave up on it.
I managed to start it last week, but fuel started to pour out from under the carbs, so I shut it down. I got the carbs off last night, but haven't found an obvious cause as yet, so I suppose I'll be posting a question or two.
I'm 61 years young; never rode a sports bike before the Ducati; loved it but my joints didn't. The ZX feels more comfortable to sit on so, if it's worth putting on the road, I'll see how I get on with it.
My other bike is a Triumph Tiger 800xc. A great machine, but very tall; I'm liking being able to put my feet flat on the floor with these sporty type bikes.
Sorry to ramble, got to go back to work.
Later.

·
Registered
875 Posts
welcome good luck with the new build

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Welcome to the place. Your first post is a bit more interesting than most.
Hope you stick around.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
18 year old bike that has been sitting. I would just plan on buying all new O-rings for the carburetors right up front, probably needle/seat too.....but for sure the o-ring that goes around the seat
5.8mm x 1.9mm x 9.6mm are that O-rings dimensions---since ma kaw won't sell you just that o-ring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and advice, people.
Yesterday, I unbolted all the brake calipers to make the bike easier to push about. Unsurprisingly, the pads were binding on the discs.
I've taken all the fairings off, so I've got good access to everything now.
I'll be doing some more to the bike this weekend.
I suppose i should start posting about it somewhere else on the forum from now on.
Maybe see you there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts