Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last spring, I bought myself a decent Ninja zx6r for $1600. Had quite a bit of cosmetic damage, so I had all the plastics fixed (scratches, holes, etc.) and did a custom paint job with the bike. It's a dark blueish grey with black striping and white stickers. I have an after market D&D exhaust, new white chain, blacked out tail light and blinkers, flush mount front blinkers, a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen, and various other extras. I just wanted to see how much someone would actually pay for the bike, based on this and the fact that it runs like a champ. Had a guy tell me it was reasonable to sell around $3500. Is this a good estimate? :O

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Is the registration clean? mileage?

Post some pics.. give us a better idea of what u got.

edit: I meant is the title clean, as in is it registered as salvaged.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a clean title, and I tried to put up pictures but I'm unsure how because it wont let me paste them and the url does't work because they are downloaded on my computer. lol:dowhat

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
in my area you could get an 07 for $4k, some guy is trying to sell his 98 for $3600, its been up there for a year, another guy is trying to sell a 02 for $2600, thats been up there for about 7 months. Basically $3500 is way to much in my area for an 18 year old bike, even if it is showroom condition, these bikes just arent incredibly desired like ducatis, zx7rrs, cbr919, etc. throw it up with an obo otherwise i dont see $3500 being reasonable.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the body work and paint
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1005044_10151738385972214_2075110909_n.jpg

After Body work, and two trials of paint on the tank. these two pics don't have the zero gravity double bubble wind screen, but some Japanese knockoff junk.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/994887_10151870999462214_1841409299_n.jpg

Tank paint skeem. Doesn't have the stickers or tank pad yet in this pic.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1098417_10151870999992214_1782071095_n.jpg

I just wanted to see what she could be worth. I'm not very interested in selling, because she is so fun to ride and looks awesome too.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
From what I've seen (in the areas I've lived in, anyway) sportbikes tend to not depreciate below a certain point no matter how old they get as long as they're in good shape. A buyer would have to look really hard to find something for less than $3k, regardless of how old it is (again, sportbikes only)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I had that problem when I was looking for a bike. All the cheap ones had major issues or no title. I was lucky to find this one so cheap, and that was mostly due to the fact that I later learned that he had his license taken away and such (pulled over riding it home, apparently this guy was in some deep shit) and that it was not in good shape plastics wise. I think I could get a pretty penny for her.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Yeah, I had that problem when I was looking for a bike. All the cheap ones had major issues or no title. I was lucky to find this one so cheap, and that was mostly due to the fact that I later learned that he had his license taken away and such (pulled over riding it home, apparently this guy was in some deep shit) and that it was not in good shape plastics wise. I think I could get a pretty penny for her.
I'd think you could get out what you have into the bike, at this point. Depending on miles, and how 'unique' your mods are -- as Zero has said there is some point at which any sport bike will not go lower in price. Assuming it's got a clean title, and is reasonably mechanically sound.

On a good day with a motivated buyer, you might see $3k... maybe a bit more maybe a bit less. The more important question is, could you replace it for that?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Translated to UK money that'd be a high price.

But bikes seem to be of completely irrelevant values when you compare them across the pond. An old E like mine seems to fetch $3000 in some states.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I could definitely replace her with another good bike, maybe even newer. I think if I sold it around $3k I could really find a nice bike. I mean, some people are so desperate right now that they have like, 4 or 5 posts to craigslist with lower prices every time, with OBO as well. I just don't want to sell and regret it or something, but $3k does sound like a nice pocket worth, considering I haven't even graduated high school yet, lol. Tell ya what, I'll maybe list on craigslist for $3500 over the winter, and if anyone bites, I may just let it go. Gotta upgrade somehow :naughty:

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Just a quick piece of advice concerning presentation of the bike.... the closer to stock it is, the more likely you are to attract serious buyers. Any sort of odd ball home brew repairs/modifications are warning signs for what may be unseen. The better it looks, and the more normal it looks the better your selling price is going to be.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick piece of advice concerning presentation of the bike.... the closer to stock it is, the more likely you are to attract serious buyers. Any sort of odd ball home brew repairs/modifications are warning signs for what may be unseen. The better it looks, and the more normal it looks the better your selling price is going to be.
The bike doesn't have any odd-ball stuff on it, unless you consider a custom paint job... Does it look messed up or something?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
looks good to me, doesn't seem dodgy or anything and the paint looks similar to an OEM scheme.

Don't know if its just me, but the F looks more dated than the E at certain angles! Seems quite strange, but i guess the E has only been out of production 7 years, the F 15...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
she's defo a nice old girl, I like her alot
Thanks man, I have quite a bit of work into it. Couldn't post up my walk around video, but she's got the new zero-gravity windscreen now, and I'm looking into a new gas cap, new plug wires/boots, and might re-jet in the spring if I have the money. I have hit fantastic speeds (145 so far... and that was in my first month riding so I was really reserved yet) on her, and hope to take her to the track some time next summer.If anyone is out and about near me (Port Washington WI.) feel free to hmu. I'll leave you guys in my rubber trail :2fingerlol: lol

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks good to me, doesn't seem dodgy or anything and the paint looks similar to an OEM scheme.

Don't know if its just me, but the F looks more dated than the E at certain angles! Seems quite strange, but i guess the E has only been out of production 7 years, the F 15...
I've been wondering, what really is the difference between an E and an F?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've been wondering, what really is the difference between an E and an F?

the F was the first 'R' in the ZX6 line. The old GPZ's and such were ZX6C, then the ZX6D and E came about. The F is the start of the ZX6R as we know it today.

It has a shorter stroke and a wider piston too, the F piston is 2mm wider (fits an E conrod, 2mm overbore makes the E a 637cc).

Obviously bodywork is different
Airbox also changed.
Believe the F cam chain is on the end of the block not the centre too.

It's quite a different beast altogether!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts