Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a 1995 ZX6R (Red and Purple) a few weeks ago dirt cheap. Since then, I have worked on the front brakes, wiring issues, relays, rust in the tank, and now the carburetor. I took it out for a ride, and it did not run good. The only time it ran right was between 3 to 4000 rpm. I took the carburetors apart and these are the issues I need help with.
1) The main jets are 115 (1&4) 112.5 (2&3) Not what the spec calls out for. 145 (1&2) and 150 (2&3)
2)1 mixture screw was bent and 1 of them looked like it was chewed up. (Replacing them)
3) Aftermarket Jet needle c-clip was all the to the bottom with 2 washers. On this one, I do not know where to put the c-clip and should take out the washer (I can raise it with the c-clip) I believe this is why the boot attaching the carb to the eng was still wet. (gas) The muffler is a muzzy muffler.
I want to know what the correct size jets or the jets on it now work? I'm not looking to outrun anybody, for now, it will be to commute to work. Also, where should the c-clip go?
Thank you for your time reading this and hopefully giving me the answers, I'm looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The cir clip for me is on the 3rd from the top. It has a circlip, a washer and a orange seat.

For the poor running

the pilot screw is what helps control your air fuel mix at idle. If your pilot screws aremessed up it won’t be getting the right air fuel mixture and it will run rough
Was the inside of the carb boot wet with gas ?
This means that that carb is leaking fuel. In my case is was due to back float bowl o ring. Can also be to incorrect fuel level set too high. These bikes are e5 only if people use e10 it damages the seals.

also and ofcourse the final bit is everyone favourite the syncing.

just FYI my info is from 99 Zx6r g

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Recommend you put everything back to stock settings and get new seals for everything. Once you do that, you can confirm or deny that your carb was the sole reason for poor running.

While you've got stuff apart, recommend you also check fuel/air/spark:
  • replace all spark plugs
  • while the plugs are out, attach one spark plug to each cable (one at a time) and touch the spark plug threads to the frame. Turn the ignition on and press the starter button. You'll witness the spark plug arcing if the wires/coils are functioning correctly.
  • disconnect the fuel line to the carb and place a bowl/bucket nearby. Turn the key and watch fuel spill into the bowl to verify the fuel pump works
  • ensure you have a clean air filter and the airbox is free of blockages
  • verify battery voltage while the bike is running (rev to 4-5,000rpm and check that voltage is roughly 14-14.5v)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts