Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 AP1 636
28 Posts
So today I beat one of the front brakes off, the front wheel has never been 'keen' on turning and I was pretty sure the brakes were binding.
I find that whatever MORON was in there before me, whilst they have put copper grease on things like the pad pin, they've installed the pistons backwards so the hollow part is inside the caliper... that must have cost them a lot in brake fluid to fill the caliper :)

The seals look swollen so I'm going to need to rebuild them anyway.
I guess I will just drill a hole in the piston face, drive in a decent screw and pull them out with that but we need to talk about rebuild kits...

Does this look reasonable? Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja front brake caliper piston seal rebuild kit 1995 1996 1997 | eBay
Anyone know of any other options in the UK market?
PERSONALLY I buy parts like a rebuild kit from a retailer like Wemoto or dirtbikeexpress etc. rather than eBay. Although when looking for genuine parts on auction sales then yeah fair enough. Here's a link to the kit for your 1995 model Front & Rear ~20% cheaper than the kits for mine so bonus for you there!

Compressed air into the hole line and a rag to catch the pistons? That is how I got mine out.

·
Registered
2002 AP1 636
28 Posts
I figure I'd better start a thread, rather than keep making new posts for every bit of rubbish I find on this benighted wreck.

We have a several careless owner, somewhat crashed, 25K miles (but apparently though gravel filled snow), mostly complete example which has been crudely repainted with inch thick paint.

When collected after buying sight unseen, it was FULL, and I mean FULL of dead spiders. Last road registered in 2017.

When sold as 'just needs a battery', you know you're in for a good ride, right? :D Luckily I like a challenge.
Reads opening lines

"You son of a bitch, I'm in."

Love a basket case, best of luck 😅

·
Registered
2002 AP1 636
28 Posts
So humbleness is a thing I was wrong, the piston ARE in the right way round they're just fitted with some kind of packing

Everyone seems to say the pop pistons out with air, but how it's beyond me how you get four pots to pop simultaneously, and after splitting the halves, all the holes are open so you can't build pressure anyway.
Firstly.. WEIRD but okay

Second, to remove the pistons with air, you're right. The large holes left behind after removing a piston means air just comes out the big hole, making removal of further pistons impossible. Instead of removing any pistons, you want to have them all in the caliper, then take a piece of wood that is small enough to fit inside the gap where the brake disks sits. Use air to push them out all the way TO THE WOOD. Then once they are all almost popped out all the way. Split the caliper, remove the pistons the final 5/10mm with say, a piece of bike inner tube rubber (for grip) and a pair of your favourite pliars.

·
Registered
2002 AP1 636
28 Posts
bad form, but i checked wemoto again and they had a deal on the reconditioning packs, so I just bought them. I'll smash these pistons out one way or another but i don't need to care about them so much since I'll have fresh ones in a few days \o/

I'll whack the calipers through the ultrasonic machine to make sure they're spanking for reassembly.
Niiiiiice!

Send us update pictures once they are all clean :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts