Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 ZX-6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a '19 636 this year and the previous owner had an Akrapovic slip on. IMO it has a fantastic sound, just not exactly as loud as I would like it to be. I've seen people remove the baffle by drilling into the side and getting in there with a socket, but I'm afraid I'll do that and it still won't be the sound I want. Anyone have experience with doing this on the Akra, and does it really make that big of a difference?

The other option would be to just buy a new slip on and sell the Akra after. I was considering going Leo or M4, which brings me to my next question:
What is the difference between M4's GP series and Street Slayer slip ons? I have also seen people say these were "too loud" for them. I don't have any experience with hearing these in person, and we all know videos don't do justice. I would appreciate any and all opinions. Keep in mind I'm trying to get louder.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bought a '19 636 this year and the previous owner had an Akrapovic slip on. IMO it has a fantastic sound, just not exactly as loud as I would like it to be. I've seen people remove the baffle by drilling into the side and getting in there with a socket, but I'm afraid I'll do that and it still won't be the sound I want. Anyone have experience with doing this on the Akra, and does it really make that big of a difference?

The other option would be to just buy a new slip on and sell the Akra after. I was considering going Leo or M4, which brings me to my next question:
What is the difference between M4's GP series and Street Slayer slip ons? I have also seen people say these were "too loud" for them. I don't have any experience with hearing these in person, and we all know videos don't do justice. I would appreciate any and all opinions. Keep in mind I'm trying to get louder.
Akra is a high end unit so instead of drilling it just sell it. Is it a cat-back or resonator back slip-on? Post a pic.

A word of caution about GP style shorty slip-ons, the sound exits right under your ear so it's much louder than a long slip-on where the sound exits about 1 foot behind the ear. Something to consider when buying a new slip-on.

If you want a shorty muffler here is a gently used Graves for sale:

Here is a sound clip of my long Hindle cat-back.

·
Registered
2021 Tuono V4 Factory
124 Posts
Styling and I would say the GP series is going to end up being a bit louder due to what I would imagine less stuffing inside of the can itself compared to the Street Slayer.

Both come pre-installed with a quiet insert but if you really want louder then you could just remove said insert easily compared to drilling out your Akra, just need some snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
2019 ZX-6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Akra is a high end unit so instead of drilling it just sell it. Is it a cat-back or resonator back slip-on? Post a pic.

A word of caution about GP style shorty slip-ons, the sound exits right under your ear so it's much louder than a long slip-on where the sound exits about 1 foot behind the ear. Something to consider when buying a new slip-on.
Don't have a great picture and I'm currently at work but here's the link to the Akra I have Akrapovič

My thoughts exactly, I didn't want to drill into it unless I absolutely knew what I'd be getting afterwards. Don't want to drill into it, lose the value, and then end up hating the noise.

I heard many people say they needed ear plugs when riding with the M4 shorties, especially on the highway. I have also seen those who said they didn't think it too loud, and could bare the ride without plugs. My ears aren't very sensitive in the first place, but no way to really tell unless I hear it in person unfortunately. Thoughts on the Graves vs M4? Despite that Graves being used, the M4GP is still ~$100 cheaper.

Nice bike btw, sounds sweet as well :)

·
Registered
2019 ZX-6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Styling and I would say the GP series is going to end up being a bit louder due to what I would imagine less stuffing inside of the can itself compared to the Street Slayer.

Both come pre-installed with a quiet insert but if you really want louder then you could just remove said insert easily compared to drilling out your Akra, just need some snap ring pliers.
Yea, I don't think its worth drilling into the Akra. I'm leaning towards the GP I think. Hard to get a solid opinion when some say removing the baffle isn't too loud and others say the stage 2 baffle is too loud. I'm not looking to purchase the stage 2.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Akrapovic and Graves are top of the line systems, I'm not familiar with M4. The Akrapovic you have is homologated and is about 900.00.

Looking at the link it appears you would have the resonator in place and the butterfly valve/servo motor intact?

One option would be to remove the resonator and get the link pipe. This will increase the sound of the current Akra homologated slip-on.

Another option is to remove the butterfly cables, servo motor and get a servo buddy. This will also increase the sound since the butterfly valve will be stuck in the open position.

If it were my bike I would keep the Akra and get the link pipe, remove the resonator, remove servo motor, remove butterfly cables and get a servo buddy.

This is the resonator that the link pipe replaces.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki ninja zx6r white/grey
87 Posts

If you want quality get graves. Sounds better than the m4.

·
Registered
2021 Tuono V4 Factory
124 Posts
Yea, I don't think its worth drilling into the Akra. I'm leaning towards the GP I think. Hard to get a solid opinion when some say removing the baffle isn't too loud and others say the stage 2 baffle is too loud. I'm not looking to purchase the stage 2.
Just depends on how loud you really want it to be, like others have said, getting rid of the resonator and adding the link pipe will definitely increase the sound so that might be a better way to go if you already enjoy the sound of your Akra but want it to just be plain louder.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ahh I understand now, apologies as I'm new to this. There is no resonator so I already have a link pipe, as well as a servo buddy. Not entirely sure about the butterfly cables, as I said all of this was done by the previous owner.
The cables have been removed as they attach to the Servo motor and that has already been removed and replaced with a buddy so if you want louder than you will need to get a new cat-back slip-on. I will give you 200 for the Akra and link pipe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't have a great picture and I'm currently at work but here's the link to the Akra I have Akrapovič

My thoughts exactly, I didn't want to drill into it unless I absolutely knew what I'd be getting afterwards. Don't want to drill into it, lose the value, and then end up hating the noise.

I heard many people say they needed ear plugs when riding with the M4 shorties, especially on the highway. I have also seen those who said they didn't think it too loud, and could bare the ride without plugs. My ears aren't very sensitive in the first place, but no way to really tell unless I hear it in person unfortunately. Thoughts on the Graves vs M4? Despite that Graves being used, the M4GP is still ~$100 cheaper.

Nice bike btw, sounds sweet as well :)
If you decide to go with Graves I’ll cut you deal with the Graves slip on that I recently purchased.

$400 you pay shipping.

·
Registered
2019 ZX-6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cables have been removed as they attach to the Servo motor and that has already been removed and replaced with a buddy so if you want louder than you will need to get a new cat-back slip-on. I will give you 200 for the Akra and link pipe.
I will keep that in mind. Thank you for all the advice!

·
Registered
82 Posts
How come you're deciding to get rid of it? Not sure what I'm gonna go with yet, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Thanks
It was louder than I anticipated so I ended up ordering a akra a few days later and before it arrived I had a chance to hear the akra in person and low and behold it was too quiet(just a bit louder than stock). The search continues and I’ve been getting sound input from some members like SCNinja636 and others on my attempt to find that perfect sound.

·
Registered
2019 ZX-6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was louder than I anticipated so I ended up ordering a akra a few days later and before it arrived I had a chance to hear the akra in person and low and behold it was too quiet(just a bit louder than stock). The search continues and I’ve been getting sound input from some members like SCNinja636 and others on my attempt to find that perfect sound.
Sent you a message

·
Premium Member
1 Posts

I also have a ‘19 636 with an Akrapovič slip on, link pipe, and I removed the cat from the end of the factory header. My slip on has a hole already in it from the factory to reach the one bolt that secures the baffle. I had the baffle out for a couple rides last year. It was too loud for me. When you’re bangin gears at redline, it sounds just right for me with the baffle in.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki ninja zx6r white/grey
87 Posts
I also have a ‘19 636 with an Akrapovič slip on, link pipe, and I removed the cat from the end of the factory header. My slip on has a hole already in it from the factory to reach the one bolt that secures the baffle. I had the baffle out for a couple rides last year. It was too loud for me. When you’re bangin gears at redline, it sounds just right for me with the baffle in.
Wear ear plugs my dude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.