Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got my new '19 6R today, and started breaking it in and getting a feel for it. Feels really nice, handles great, and the power is there!
Anyhow, perhaps I need some enlightenment on using the QS and engine break in things...

It almost feels like my quickshifter is not... calibrated? I know that in lower RPMs and when not using very much throttle, the quickshifter by nature will be a bit crunchy. However, occasionally at even high RPM and throttle position, the quickshifter doesn't always feel smoother. It usually does if Im doing a pull, but sometimes it doesnt. Today it felt like it didn't kill the ignition on a shift or two, and I think the rear wheel skipped a bit, it felt like popping the clutch a tiny bit. Is that normal? Will this change with break in? Also, maybe I am just using the quickshifter incorrectly. Do you have to click up and withdraw your foot asap after the shift? Does that matter? The QS just feels not consistent, but it could also be my poor technique and getting used to the bike.

Also, today I had the engine die at idle, and behave strangely at idle. When I got the bike, the idle was set to 1000RPM when warm. So I turned the adjuster and set it to about 1300RPM ish. On both idle speed settings, the bike died just idling, once after starting it up and it was idling just fine, and another time when I just pulled in the clutch slowing to pull off a road to stop. Both times it fired right back up, no other symptoms. Could that be related to the quickshifter odd behavior? They were definitely not stalls, the first time it happened I wasn't even in gear, but I wonder if bumping the shifter can cause this by cutting ignition or something? I don't think I did, but it is possible.

And when the bike is idling, and I input some throttle, not even very much, the engine briefly bogs for maybe a quarter second, then the RPMs come up from the throttle input. So sometimes when I am at a green light and start moving, the motor will bog and almost stall if I have the clutch partially out, and then the RPM comes up like expected after a split second, and I roll away. Is this going to become better after break in? Is this break in related? I had a similar poor throttle response from my old ninja 300, but it was due to a very small amount of water in the gas tank that was getting burned up slowly, and once that cleared out, the throttle response returned back to normal. Any idea why my engine bogs at idle with throttle input? Once the engine has reached any RPM above idle, it responds very well and normally.

Other than this, the engine makes great power and torque, and the shifting works just fine when I dont use the quickshifter.
Are these just break in pains? Never broken in a new motorcycle before today.

Any tips greatly appreciated, really stoked to have this new bike.
Thanks in advance.
-Mike

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Break in always has a few quirks. Your '19 could easily have stale gas in it. I'd start by adding fuel treatment, at no more than the proscribed strength. Wal-Mart. Chemtool B-12. Techrolene. Put in the right amount for a full ~4 gallon tank, then top up the tank and ride it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats a good point. They did top it off at the dealer, with who knows how old the fuel was. I think you've got a good idea, I will pick up a fuel treatment and try to get it out in the next couple tanks.
Good call, I'll give that a go. Still a bit confused with the QS though...
Thanks for the tips.
-Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have to click up and withdraw your foot asap after the shift? Does that matter? The QS just feels not consistent, but it could also be my poor technique and getting used to the bike.
They like higher rpms. Make sure you are also using constant throttle. It doesn’t have to be wide open, but a considerable amount will make it smoother. Be firm with the lever and extra firm changing between 1st and 2nd gear. As soon as it changes into the next gear, let the lever return back to its regular position.

Everything will get smoother as you break it in. Just start putting miles on and click through the gears as often as possible. And post some pics for fuck sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ah you're right, you're right haha. Freezing ass cold day here in northern AZ, so I didn't get much time to stand around outside, but here she is, first time coming home.

Thanks for the tips on the shifter, good to know. I may just shift conventionally when Im moving through the town or something. I will say though, I had to take it through one of the local favorite set of twisties to get it home, and boy did it feel good in the turns, rolling on the throttle coming out. It's what I've been dreaming of since I got into riding for sure! I'll have to take it out on a warmer day and do the canyons proper and really get it warmed up and bangin through gears.

Any more suggestions welcome. Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Beautiful bike! I just got a zx10r that has the Kawasaki QS. This might be an obvious one but check to make sure you enabled the sensor on the dash settings. Make sure you make firm complete shifts when using it since technique can get lazy if you're used to using the clutch to shift. I noticed the cut times are a bit long so it can cause some lurching.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I checked, it is definitely on haha. I know the feeling of when its off lol. I guess yeah, I used to have a 300, and the shifts are slow, the shifter moves a far distance, and it doesn't need to be as quick, so maybe I just need to get better foot technique.

I'll try to get in a couple hundred miles, and report back. It'll probably take me about that long to get used to it more as well. And, then it will have fresh gas from this year in it, haha.
Thanks! More advice welcome.
-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
New 2019 6R owner here too (from India). New to the forum as well and already loving it.

Just bought it a couple of days ago and I have pretty much the same little quirks that you described. It's such a beautiful and well functioning machine once you get going so I did assume (more like "wanted to" believe) these were break-in issues.

Thanks for starting this thread. Perfectly timed for me \m/

(and before someone rightly yells at me, here's mine - this is the only available option in India)

2020-02-06.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful bike good sir! The green really does look great on the 6R as well.
I am glad that someone else experiences what I am experiencing, but not to say I am glad you have quirks lol.

Anyhow, yesterday at the end of my short ride I was able to run it down to under a gallon left, and put fresh 91 in it. It was a little hard to tell, and maybe a tad bit of placebo, but the throttle response from idle felt better than before by a tiny bit, and I plan to ride it today as much as possible to really get the fresh gas through it, and hopefully it will clear this all up.

I have not fully wrung it out still, probably only hit 12k RPM under high throttle, trying to go a little easy on it still while I get acquainted, and while the bike breaks in. Probably approaching 200mi on the clock if I remember right.

I will also ride it more with the quickshifter turned off as well. I know the manual says the QS stops functioning when you pull in the clutch, but I am not convinced this is true. If I am cruising down the street at say 35mph, with just enough throttle to hold speed, and I leave the throttle open that much, pull the clutch in and upshift, the rpms drop on their own maybe 500-750rpm. Essentially, I can still shift on the throttle even with the clutch smoothly, and if I am applying too much throttle, or like climbing a hill and repeat this shift, it does feel like the ignition is cut for the QS designated amount of time, then the RPMs will come up - because I have the throttle open. I have not directed tested my clutch switch, but I do know the bike will start in gear, clutch in. So today I will directly test that, and riding with the QS turned off.

Any more insight is appreciated, I just wanted to update and hopefully clarify the quirks I had mentioned.
-Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think most of the oddities have settled down. I got some small pulls in today, got a bunch of fuel moving through the motor, and the idle has been more stable, and has not stalled on its own anymore. The tank is still approximately 25% bad gas, but seems to be running better. I will try to run it lower this time just to get the bad out. Quickshifter has really started to feel better too!
I do still feel like the QS on will slightly alter clutched gear changes, and its really smooth with the QS off as well. So I think I just need to make sure I am riding such that I use the QS when it should be used, and not when it shouldn't be.

I'm absolutely loving this bike!! New grips and stand spools installed today.
-Mike

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah yeah I have seen that last year. I did run it in decently hard, getting some good WOT redline pulls right at the end of the 600 miles. Did the oil change today, and all is working well! It does seem to actually get better mileage and have better super low end torque, so I think it came out well. Idle is much more stable than it was when I first picked it up.

Also folks, dropped the damn bike today doing my first chain cleaning, uhg. Im a total dumbass, thinking my janky 300 rear stand would work okay for this bike, sure enough it toppled easily. Bent a break lever, and scraped up the front fairing... 4 days old and now she's really broken in, lol. New lever on the way, probably going to smooth out the scratches and plastidip the pieces.

Uhg lol, didn't even go down when riding, it was while doing maintenance, that is so stupid lol.
At least I got to drag knee on it before dropping it haha.

Learn from my mistakes, get quality stands guys. If anyone has suggestions for making this look better, I posted a thread in MC talk, and advice would be much appreciated.

She's riding great though, I am having a blast, and I absolutely love this bike.

-Mike

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Ah yeah I have seen that last year. I did run it in decently hard, getting some good WOT redline pulls right at the end of the 600 miles. Did the oil change today, and all is working well! It does seem to actually get better mileage and have better super low end torque, so I think it came out well. Idle is much more stable than it was when I first picked it up.

Also folks, dropped the damn bike today doing my first chain cleaning, uhg. Im a total dumbass, thinking my janky 300 rear stand would work okay for this bike, sure enough it toppled easily. Bent a break lever, and scraped up the front fairing... 4 days old and now she's really broken in, lol. New lever on the way, probably going to smooth out the scratches and plastidip the pieces.

Uhg lol, didn't even go down when riding, it was while doing maintenance, that is so stupid lol.

Learn from my mistakes, get quality stands guys. If anyone has suggestions for making this look better, I posted a thread in MC talk, and advice would be much appreciated.

She's riding great though, I am having a blast, and I absolutely love this bike.

-Mike
View attachment 104433
Don't worry about it. It happens. Adds a bit of character. Sooner or later it'll scratch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, she still rides perfect, and that's what I need.
I'll put in some elbow grease and try to make it a little nicer, but glad I didn't damage any mechanical parts!

-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's up Sparky. Beautiful bike. Glad to see you are enjoying it. I just purchased the same one (2019 ZX-6R) in gray yesterday. But I don't get to pick it up from the dealership until Sunday. It'll be a long 6 days of waiting. I'm anxious. I'm going to send you a PM, I have a few questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@SparkyMJ A kid dropped mine while trying to sit on it (I saw it happen out of the corner of my eye) 😪! You have no idea how glad I am that I put frame sliders on just a day earlier! 100% protection in this fall at least.

I put a double-bubble screen on too since the wind-blast became a bit too much for me at high speeds. Here's how she looks now.

I can't recommend sliders enough man! Falls are just inevitable. Get them as soon as you can. And while you're at it, get a radiator grill and fork protectors too.

Ride safe all. I'll be through my break-in period this weekend hopefully. I'll loop back after 1st service.

PS: I have the same feeling about the QS not turning off on clutched shifts. It is smooth for sure but I was expecting it to not be active as in the manual. I'll pay a bit more attention while riding tomorrow just to be sure.

Also, @SparkyMJ can you hear a faint buzzing sound near about 10k? For me it sounds like it comes from the left-front side of the bike but I checked everything I could and nothing feels loose or not fitted properly anywhere. It kinda sounds like a bumble bee on low volume (for the lack of a better descriptor).

·
Registered
3 Posts

-Mike
View attachment 104433
We've all been there at some point @SparkyMJ. Try not letting it bum you out too much. I dropped my 300 on its very first day! While putting it on the side stand (new boots, couldn't exactly feel that the stand wasn't all the way out)! In front of like a million dudes too :ROFLMAO:

It was matte black and it got dinged up pretty much exactly like yours has. For a few days, it hurt real bad whenever I looked at it. But then I would get on it and it was like nothing had never happened. Over the next few weeks, I pretty much stopped noticing it and my love for the bike had only grown exponentially :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hackrides, I do think there is a faint buzzing sound at mid-high range rpms, I havent narrowed it down to an rpm or a location yet, but I think yes. My mirrors vibrate right around that same rpm as well, I think that is just how bodywork and plastics are. I noticed it the day or so when I first got it, but I have reduced it. Read below.

What I did after my 600 miles to help this kind of thing was to add foam tape on certain spots of contact. So, I took off every single fairing right, because I was fixing the scratch, (which BTW, if you're interested, go to the MC talk forum on here and look at my post, I am very proud of my fix!) but on the frame and certain parts of the fairings, by design they rub together, and you can see where the plastics have rubbed down a bit, most noticeably on the side of the actual frame under the tank, I placed some 3M double stick foam tape where these points of contact are, without peeling off the second backing (so it wasn't sticky, just a foam piece to dampen the rubbing) and so far I haven't gotten enough miles since 2 days ago to really conclude much, but it always helps. Every spot I found in the bodywork that was rubbing/chafing, or an un-dampened point of pressure, I applied foam tape. My exhaust servo cables were rubbing on the frame under my seat area, so I stuck some foam tape around there too to prevent the cables from eventually wearing through or something on the metal.

Can't say the foam tape has reduced any buzzing, but it does sound super smooth from the last few rides since I did it, I have since then not thought "oh there is some buzzing at this speed/rpm", it has been really smooth since then, but like I said, I haven't concretely concluded that it fixed anything. Highly recommend foam tape for this, just avoid high heat areas. Now that you mentioned it and I thought about it though, I do believe there is a difference.

What wind screen is that one you've got on there? I am considering one similar to that, would be nice since I will be streeting the bike and taking it on short trips from time to time, and that all helps when you're in the saddle for hours at a time. Radiator guard is also on my mind, I almost wonder if I could make one for cheap DIY with a bit of tack welding or soldering or something depending on the parts. Either way, its on the menu for sure!

What frame sliders did you pick up also? Like you said, I am by far most concerned about literal drops rather than sliding crashes. I think cut-sliders are more what I am looking for, maximum protection and durability is my choice over ease of fitment. Of course it will happen one day, but for the street when Im not riding that hard, I am certain I am more likely to misplace my foot on a tilted stop, or slip my foot on gravel or something stupid haha. Fixing my scratches has helped me bond with my new machine for sure too.

Beautiful bike man, glad you're loving it as well!

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
SparkyMJ, yes the advice the gents above gave are spot on. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to my 2019 last year, once you get used to it, it will be second nature and even if you get back on a bike without a QS, it wasn't really any difficult transition. I use the QS all the time, unless traffic is really heavy, stop and go.

Tips: Don't let off on the throttle as you would with the clutch, shift quick with QS too, do delay on it and I also found it is much better at the higher RPMs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts