Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried fitting a 180/55 rear tyre on a g2 model instead of the standard 170/60, my tyres are about shot and ive got 180's lying about in my garage but just wanted to see if anyone else have tried it? plus the 180/55's are about £40 a set cheaper

im sure the rim size is the same as my 9 which runs 180/55 but im not sure if the tyre will rub on the swingarm, hugger etc

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but the g rear wheel is 5.5 so i wouldnt be pinching the tyre and so i wouldnt be running into most of those problems, the only thing would be the slightly lower profile which i could raise the rear for and because the tyre wont be on the wrong rim as such it shouldnt have the the side grip problems described in the article.

i do understand the problems that article is talking about and have ridden bikes where people have pinched tyres and its ruined the handling but conversly i have pinched a 160 tyre on a rim meant for a 150 (nc30) and after some slight alterations to the ride height (front and rear) it handled sooo much better.

my main issue really is will it fit, then i can give it a go and if it doesnt work then i'll revert back to 170, im just trying to save myself a wasted journey to the tyre fitters :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cool, like I said I'm not sure about the physical fit, I just wanted you to be aware of the problems explained it that article... which it seems as though you already are!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the help anyway, i do appreciate what you were trying to warn me :thumbup

·
Registered
63 Posts
it'll fit fine and it will handle great still.
Thats the size I'm running on mine, and have been for awhile.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers :) :)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Im running a 180/55 on my G1 and its great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts