Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
The dealer I bought my bike from was a little over 1,400 for the 15k service. I'm no where near that mileage but was overlooking their service intervals. At 15, your looking at spark plugs, valve adjustment, oil change, air filter change, etc.

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
How much would a 16,000 miles servicing cost ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call your local dealer!!!!!!!!!!

prices likley vary wildly by whom you have do it and where you are located

locally here is is typically $400 plus parts on a jap bike with shim under bucket valve adjustment

·
Registered
132 Posts
The dealer I bought my bike from was a little over 1,400 for the 15k service. I'm no where near that mileage but was overlooking their service intervals. At 15, your looking at spark plugs, valve adjustment, oil change, air filter change, etc.
Damn, I might do this myself too when time comes. That’s a little chunk of cash.

·
Registered
163 Posts
1400.00......holy crap..what is it a Bugatti...the only thing I can see having a pro do is the valve adjustment..

·
Registered
13,587 Posts
I have to think a good chunk of the cost is in removing/installing the plastics. That's somewhat time consuming the first time you do it. The other minor service items -- oil, plugs, filters..... that should all be within the ability of any owner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well..this just came in..its pretty nice..dont know why people buy cheaper ones..now just need the front one..want to keep it off the ground for winter..

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thats cheaper than the 12,000 or 24,000 mile service on my BMW F800GT! Only reason I had the dealer do the service was I bought a service contract with unlimited miles - only used 2 of the 3 years before I traded the bike. Cost was $1,500 all the services totaled about $5,000 so I came out ahead.

What is not mentioned above is the dealer screw-ups. In addition to a couple of fasteners falling off I had the engine filled with water (no was not for a track day), exhaust valve set to intake valve spec and drive belt too tight. IMO the drive belt too tight caused a rear wheel bearing failure. Fortunately it failed just as I was getting off the interstate, even better it was in Grand Island Nebraska. Best part was a new bearing from BMW is part of the rear hub which costs $995 if you can find one. Found a complete swingarm in eBay for $550. Wait it gets better - I don't live in Grand Island, 1,100 miles from home and 2nd night of what was supposed to be a 17 day trip to Idaho and Montana! The very best part was I fixed the bike and rode it to Sioux Falls SD to Vern Eide Motoplex and traded it for a new Yamaha Tracer GT - wahoo I have a bike with a great engine sound that will lift the front wheel. Sure do miss my ZX6R but it wasn't good for 6,000 mile solo trips. I was very impressed with that dealership and their service department. Super nice folks that treated me great - knowing they might never see me again. While I was there had a great time looking at the snowmobiles - don't see them down south.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My dealer was supposed to flush my coolant and replace with distilled water when I bought it..track bike..I think all they did was dump the coolant ( not flush) and fill with water. Still had Glycol in it when I dumped it for the winter...no more dealer shit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My dealer was supposed to flush my coolant and replace with distilled water when I bought it..track bike..I think all they did was dump the coolant ( not flush) and fill with water. Still had Glycol in it when I dumped it for the winter...no more dealer shit.
I’ve found dealers to have the least competent techs out of all the mechanics I’ve used auto or bike. I did have my first service done on my bike for warranty but after that I try never to go there. Or I’ll find someone better.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thats cheaper than the 12,000 or 24,000 mile service on my BMW F800GT! Only reason I had the dealer do the service was I bought a service contract with unlimited miles - only used 2 of the 3 years before I traded the bike. Cost was $1,500 all the services totaled about $5,000 so I came out ahead.

What is not mentioned above is the dealer screw-ups. In addition to a couple of fasteners falling off I had the engine filled with water (no was not for a track day), exhaust valve set to intake valve spec and drive belt too tight. IMO the drive belt too tight caused a rear wheel bearing failure. Fortunately it failed just as I was getting off the interstate, even better it was in Grand Island Nebraska. Best part was a new bearing from BMW is part of the rear hub which costs $995 if you can find one. Found a complete swingarm in eBay for $550. Wait it gets better - I don't live in Grand Island, 1,100 miles from home and 2nd night of what was supposed to be a 17 day trip to Idaho and Montana! The very best part was I fixed the bike and rode it to Sioux Falls SD to Vern Eide Motoplex and traded it for a new Yamaha Tracer GT - wahoo I have a bike with a great engine sound that will lift the front wheel. Sure do miss my ZX6R but it wasn't good for 6,000 mile solo trips. I was very impressed with that dealership and their service department. Super nice folks that treated me great - knowing they might never see me again. While I was there had a great time looking at the snowmobiles - don't see them down south.
That’s crazy. Maintenance price on a Beemer is one of the reasons I won’t look at a S1000RR when I do get another bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ill use the track mechanic..hes always there and after a track day i can leave it with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts