Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My speedo and trip/odo have completely stopped functioning. At first the speedo would malfuntion and drop to 0 while i was riding, but after shutting the bike off and on again, it would be fine, but that is no longer working.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Hi!

My speedo and trip/odo have completely stopped functioning. At first the speedo would malfuntion and drop to 0 while i was riding, but after shutting the bike off and on again, it would be fine, but that is no longer working.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks in Advance.
I'd take it by the dealer.... you either have a loose connection, or something is wrong with a sensor, or the ECU itself. If this is under warranty, take it in. Now. Even if it isn't it's worth your time to know what's going on. The speedo should be covered as a basic safety item long after the initial warranty runs out, IMHO. Same thing with emissions equipment on a car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you, but the dealer is so far away that im willing to fix it myself if its a simple fix. I did remove the front sprocket cover to clean my chain the day before, is that where the speed sensor is located?

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
I think the '13+ bikes use the sensor ring at the front wheel to judge your speed. <13 bikes, there is a sensor on the front sprocket that is used for this purpose. Anything after '13, you should not need a speedo healer, as changes in sprocket size have no effect on calculated speed. It's done straight from the wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the service manual, and the speedo is linked to the real wheel sensor in the rear brake caliper, so I go to check it... and the sensor was hanging freely, the bolt holding it was gone :O, so it appears that was the problem.

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
I just checked the service manual, and the speedo is linked to the real wheel sensor in the rear brake caliper, so I go to check it... and the sensor was hanging freely, the bolt holding it was gone :O, so it appears that was the problem.
Im pretty sure thats not the problem :whatsthat:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts