Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently sold my 2011 10R which I used for three years as a track only bike. I then picked up a 2014 6R and immediately prepped it for track duty and just got it ready, minus race plastics, prior to the first track day locally.

I sold the 10R and picked up the 6R because I'm a middle of the pack intermediate track day rider and I wanted a smaller bike to work on my corner entry and carry the speed through the corner skills. The 10R handled quite well but it put most of it's power down in the very top of the rpm range of the motor. That upper rpm punch was very strong and at my level of ridding was just too much.

So, two weeks ago I took the 6R to Hallett motor speedway for the first time. The first thing that jumped out at me was the amount of power this bike has in the lower and midrange of the rpm range of the motor. The bike has plenty of power and it is much more usable since it is much broader across the rpm range of the motor. There's still a top end kick but not as aggressive as the 10R. The motor is truly amazing and I ended up not missing the power of the 10R. Well, not too much.

Now for the handling, first understand that the suspension is not stock I sent both forks and the shock to RaceTech and had them install gold valves and re -spring to my weight. I also installed a GPR steering damper, wow does this work great, much better than the ohlins I had on the 10R. Anyway, turn in is a the verge of being two sensitive and the bike will almost continue to fall into the turn and must be regulated. In comparison the 10R with suspension upgrades required effort to hold the bike into the turn and maintain the line. Whereas the 6R had to be balanced to hold the line.

All and all I felt much quicker and had more confidence on the 6R. I obviously need to continue to work on technique and possibly make suspension adjustments to decrease the tendency for the bike to want to continue to drop and be more neutral after initial turn in.

Overall I love the bike, the motor and the handling combine to make one very fun and effective track bike.:):):)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Nice. Glad you got the front end upgraded. Kawasaki really fucked up on the 13+ front suspension for us agresive riders. I went ohlins cartridges and God what a difference. I have racers on 1000s pass me entering the corner and I pull up aside them exiting the corner. Money well spent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts