Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

'13-'14 ZX6R's

11K views 102 replies 17 participants last post by  RRnold 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I don't really post much here but was active when it was still ZX6R.net forum. I used to have a '05 6RR and it was by far my favorite 600, even compared to my '06 R6. I currently own a '07 1098.

I haven't been keeping tabs with Kawi's until recently and thinking about getting the '13 636. I saw a few posts about using the Costco buying program and I found out my friend still works at a local Kawi dealership (Vey Motorsports).

I'm still kind of in shock on how much 600's costs these days. Are '13 owners paying MSRP or 11K plus tax, license and doc fees?

See less See more
#2 ·
well if you're looking for a '13 you can probably find one now for sub 10k, maybe in the low 9's. when i bought mine in 2012 i paid full price 11.7+fees, but when insurance replaced the one that got totaled (fucker ran a red and swiped me, a cop was behind me and saw the whole thing :), new '13s in the last part of 2013 were going for 10k flat.

#3 ·
I found a few leftover '13's from dealerships with one going for $8799 over in West Virginia. It's all black and wishing it was a green one tho.

Unfortunately, not too many green ones unless they are the '14's. How do you like your 636 so far? Any major issues?

#6 ·
See, TBH, 10K is still a lot if you're talking about leftover '13 models. There used to be a shop here in SoCal called OTD cycles and would sell brand new bikes for way less than MSRP and with a OTD price. It was great and they sold bikes left and right. Unfortunately, when the economy went down in '08 so did the shop.

OTD Cyclesports - CLOSED - Auburn, CA | Yelp

Now they are back under LA cyclesports but don't carry Kawasaki. :thumbdown:

I..........LOVE IT!!! it's now a 100% track beast. bazzaz QS4, bazzaz Z-FI, hotbodies, gpr v4 damper, graves exhaust. getting it dyno tuned this week.
That's awesome! Got any pics? :bigthumb:

#15 ·
Do you have the name of those dealerships. At that price, flying from CA to VA, rent a pickup truck, do the paperwork, load it up and drive it back would be a great idea. The problem is, CA sucks and you're required to have at least 7500 miles in order to register an out of state vehicle.

socal is one of the worse place to buy things. the cost of living here is expensive so the average marked price around here is that 9,999 for the '13 now considering if you can still find any.
I know, tell me about it. :thumbdown:

#14 ·
socal is one of the worse place to buy things. the cost of living here is expensive so the average marked price around here is that 9,999 for the '13 now considering if you can still find any.

#19 ·
I paid 13.5K out the door last November. That's with the extended warranty though. All this talk about 9 or 10K is concerning; however, it suddenly all seems trivial when I go to my garage and get to drive this to work everyday.
That's ridiculous. Dealerships in Southern CA pitch that 'you can ride 365 days a year b/s. Why are people content with paying MSRP, extended warranty and a high interest rate. Extended warranties are a waste of money. :thumbdown:

They were doing that a few months ago. This is the closest I could find. Give em a call tomorrow and see if they can work a deal with you.

2013 BRAND NEW ZX636/ZX6R BLOW OUT SALE
That's what I'm talking about. I would jump on that deal if it wasn't for the CA DMV regulation that new vehicles have to have at least 7500 miles on the odometer.

#36 ·
Man you guys are getting some insane deals. I would post what invoice is on these bikes, but that's just too easy.

The 2013 model on your floor at your local dealership is going to be the last one they will be able to get, unless they have some still in the crates. The warehouses are dry of the 2013 models. I tried to order a 2013 model for myself 2 weeks ago

#40 ·
I just picked up my 2013 636 for 10k flat from a private seller, it had 1900 miles on it in perfect shape. The guy had owned it for about 7 months, done the 600 mile service, had the paperwork, had taken care of the bike but couldn't deal with the sportbike ergos so he decided to sell. There aren't too many '13s on the market yet so I was lucky

#43 ·
Nice!! Congrats! I saw a few white ones on CL but looking for a black or green one. I'll keep looking

I can get them at cost. I can get any Kawasaki, Yamaha or Honda at invoice actually. :nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:
Sweet! :thumbup

Really...9,699? How reliable is your source? I always wondered this myself. I've heard it ranged from 9-10k.

I heard dealers make 10-15% just off msrp alone. But if invoice is 9,699 and msrp is 11,699 then that's like 20% profit. Is what I hear true in terms of profit range? It would be nice if u could give us all here a percentage range. We would all appreciate it very much. :bigthumb:
My buddy works at a local dealership and when I stopped by to ask about the new 636, that's what he told me. He sold me my '01 R1, '05 6RR and '06 R6 for cost + tax and doc fees when he worked at the old Fun Bike Center so I would assume he's not b/s'in.

However he's at a different, smaller shop so he can't hook it up anymore. I'm not sure how much profit they make since I've never went that far in depth to ask him.

#47 ·
Hey thanks for the info Texas. You're a great person helping us from gettin ripped off by dealers. Personally I understand it's a business n they need to make profit which I agree with 100% but it's stupid when they get money hungry n rip u off more than necessary. If u can make profits off msrp then y not do so n move inventory so u can get more sales n order more from the manufacture. To me I think this builds great businesses both with customers and manufactures.

#48 · (Edited)
You're welcome my friend! I do what I can. There are other members on here that are in sales at dealerships. I'm sure they can chime in.

What really get's me, is when people come in, want me to knock off $2k off the bike and then knock off the freight, setup and doc fee. I'm like.. :coocoo:O:butbut::2fingerlol:

Here's how I look at it... and I'm sure alot of others do too in sales. If you are cool, nice and not so demanding, sure, we will bend over backwards for you. If ya walk in there demanding this and that, act like a total ass/douchebag, then you won't get anyone in sales to help ya out. I'm more willing to help people out if we click, get along and are reasonable. It's a two way street when ya think about it. I'm sure when you walk in to buy a bike, ATV, Side By Side, Car, Truck, etc... if the sales guy is cool, you are more willing to do business with the guy.

It's the same way on the other side of that desk. I get it all the time face to face, but I get it over the phone and when people shoot us an e-mail/online quote. I had a guy last week want a Yamaha Royal Star Venture S. It's a FULLY dressed 1300cc with awesome pillow seats, batwing, hard bags, etc... The MSRP is $20,590 + Freight, Setup & Doc Fee, that comes out to be a price of: $21,515. We have a sale price of $19,500 OTD.

He sent me a message that said this, and I quote as I'm copying and pasting this from my PSN Dealer Login:

"can $12,000 otd intrest you? if you can ship to smith brothers yamaha. Oneonta, AL. does bike have factory cd and cb. thanks."

My response?

Jimmie,
Thank you for contacting us regarding the 2012 Yamaha Royal Star Venture S. Unfortunately, I cannot take off 43% of the bike. Thank you

Jesse Sampson
Sales Manager
Rainbow Sports, Inc.

The guy wants me to take 43% off of the bike AND THEN ship it to him all the way to Alabama!? I didn't even take the time to make a counter-offer. I just shot him down and closed out the lead. So he called me Thursday and asked me what I could do. I told him the MSRP price. He piddle farted around and asked me if I could give him the sale price, which is already at $19,500 OTD. Told him I'd have to call him back. Let's just say I haven't called him back yet.

It's stuff like that, where we know if you are wasting our time or not. In this case, this guy is wasting my time and I'm not giving him anymore time. If the sales guy knows you are reasonable, then we will definitely work something out with you, but we have to make money too. How we look at it is... Can we replace the bike or can we replace the customer? If ZX-6R's are flying off the showroom floor, a dealership is going to be less inclined to work a deal with you. If they sell at MSRP + Fees, then why would they do that when someone else is willing to come in and pay it? I know, it sucks, but that's business.

I hate to say this, but take it for what it is... You MIGHT get a better deal on a price if the dealership is big and sells alot of their inventory. Some manufacturers have stipulations to their rebates. If the dealership orders so many of one particular model, then they will get a kickback. Like, Honda for instance. Regular rebates are $300 for the TRX420 ATV.. However if a dealership orders 18 of those TRX420's, then the rebates go up to $800 per unit. NOW, with that being said, I say support your local dealer that is not so big. I believe you will get much better customer service and you won't be just a number to them. We go the extra mile at my dealership, because we are smaller. Only way we can get the customers in our door and not go to Oklahoma City to the other bigger dealers, is by our customer service.

So take that for what it is. Sorry for the long post. Like I said, I will try to get you all some invoice numbers and the actual freight and setup charges that my department gets billed.

Reactions: TommyG and ilotek
#51 ·
Yea I see where you're coming from. I've been contacting a few dealerships out here in SoCal to see if they would let go of a '14 636 for msrp. How likely do you think they'll do it? I've emailed big and small dealers pending their reply.

#52 · (Edited)
I don't know how it is where you are at in California, but knocking off the freight and setup wouldn't be all that big of a deal for me as the Sales Manager at my dealership. I'd do it for you no problem. But that's just about as far as I would go though for a 2014. We only have a $300 rebate on those at the moment. I haven't looked lately. We are more of a "cruiser" town than a Sportbike town unfortunately. That's why I'll be looking at a Sales Manager job at a dealership in Dallas soon

Edit: Sorry, there aren't any rebates that I see for 2014's. If you can find a 2013, there is a $750 rebate

#54 · (Edited)
This is what I came up with.

2014 Kawasaki ZX636FEF (ABS)

Invoice: $11,114.00
Freight: $345.00
Setup: $95.00
Doc Fee: $125

Total: $11,679

So that is without any dealer rebates. I'll have to look, but I think there is a $300 rebate. I can't remember. I'm about to go look it up in a bit.

This is the ZX-6R with ABS

Reactions: RRnold
#56 ·
This is what I came up with.

2014 Kawasaki ZX636FEF (ABS)

Invoice: $1114.00
Freight: $345.00
Setup: $95.00
Doc Fee: $125

Total: $11,679

So that is without any dealer rebates. I'll have to look, but I think there is a $300 rebate. I can't remember. I'm about to go look it up in a bit.

This is the ZX-6R with ABS
Invoice is only 1,114? Or is that a typo?

#64 ·
You noticed the slight weight difference too?

#68 ·
I just got a '13 6R ABS today second hand for a good deal, but when I was shopping around I noticed that Texas had by far the most expensive bikes. It was cheaper for me to ship a new '13 bike from Oregon or Florida than buy one here, even though it wasn't even the current model. What's with that?

#69 ·
It has nothing to do with Texas. It has to do with the dealers, how many dealers there are in the area and so on. If there are several dealers in the area, then they have to compete with their freight setup. If there isn't much competition, then they can increase the price up. In Austin, I would assume there are plenty of dealers though. Kawasaki has several warehouses spread out across the United States. It might cost a few bucks more to ship it from a warehouse than say others, but but significantly more.

Going off that thought. The Kawasaki warehouse for the south where they got their units from, could be a little further way from say.. The one in Oregon. It's all on how they want to price their freight setup. NORMALLY, they just have a flat freight rate that they charge. Whether it be for a dirtbike or a Goldwing. If it's a CRF110 mini dirtbike, it will automatically populate as the flat rate, but at my dealership, I cut the freight in half. Same with the setup. Like the little Yamaha TTR50's, those actually come two in a crate.

The other thing is, is that if sportbikes are flying off the showroom floors, dealers won't be as willing to discount the price off the unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.