Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all, let me just begin by saying I appreciate any advice given on this forum. Now my woes....

A few months ago after my crash, I had everything replaced except the radiator, which I didn't know was leaking. I rode it on the track and essentially had to come off but not before messing up my ignition coils. So after I replaced the ignition coils and radiator (flushed it), it overflowed again at the next trackday. I had issues with it overheating before i replaced the radiator, so I tested the fan, which was fine, but there might have been air pockets. I was thinking that perhaps because of the air pockets, it caused the overflow. At the track, I burped it for 5-10 times and rode it, but it was still overheating with no coolant spillage, but now the fan wasn't working. I'm about to flush my radiator again with distilled water, and I'm going to check my fan to make sure it works by hooking it up directly to the battery. However, I do not know if it might be the following problem:

1. clogged radiator
2. broken water pump
3. blown head gasket (I hope not, and I do not see anything in my oil or oil leakage)
4. temperature sensor malfunction

I've been reading some posts on various forums, and I was hoping to receive help to isolate the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am taking it apart as we speak. I just flushed the coolant and was using distilled water to flush my system. after a few starts and letting it heat up briefly, it would go up to 227 degrees farenheit in no time without fan working. I'm leaning to the thermostat problem, but how do I check that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thermostat is located under the throttle body assembly right? Also, does this have a connection to why the fan is not kicking in at around 217 degrees farenheit?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
The thermostat is located under the throttle body assembly right? Also, does this have a connection to why the fan is not kicking in at around 217 degrees farenheit?
Does anyone know if I have to drain oil in order to get to the thermostat?
On that year bike your fan SHOULD be kicking on at about 214.

No... you shouldn't have to drain the oil to get to the thermostat. At least I don't think so... :O

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I swapped my radiator, I kept the original fan on there and it was working before it crapped out again.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
1. clogged radiator
2. broken water pump
3. blown head gasket (I hope not, and I do not see anything in my oil or oil leakage)
4. temperature sensor malfunction
First and foremost, the first thing I always recommend is a proper flush and refill with fresh fluid. I always perform a 2 part flush, the first time with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar and the second time with just distilled water. That should take care of a dirty or partially clogged system.

If you have a blown head gasket, you would likely have oil and coolant mixing. Do you see any signs of this in the coolant reservoir or oil site glass? Is the bike burning any oil or coolant?

Is the operating temp being displayed on the dash? If it is, there is likely no issue with the temp sensor.

Have you verified that the fan motor is not shot? You can supply it with 12 volts and if it does not power on, its no good. If it does go on, check the fan fuse. If the fan fuse is good, check the fan relay. If that is good, start looking for damaged wiring. A bad fan, however, will likely not lead to overheating ON the track. In fact, many racers remove the fan entirely as it is not really necessary. Its more for the bike sitting in traffic.

I would def pull the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to ensure it is opening and not stuck. If its not opening, then coolant will not be circulating through the entire system which would definitely lead to overheating.

The water pump could be bad and I am not entirely sure how to check that without pulling it off and inspecting the main gear and internal assembly. If there is an easier way, by all means, someone please feel free to chime in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the input! There is no cloudy substance in my oil. It's just green from being Motul 300v. The operating temperature works and I can see it rising. I noticed that some wires were pressing against the fan, but when I did the 3 flushes with purely distilled water, it didn't work. I'm going to check that wiring, but I know that is not the main issue with the overheating. Most likely the thermostat.

I never heard of mixing 50/50 with distilled an vinegar? Does that work? I'll keep you guys posted once I get back this weekend

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, so I finally got time to get to the thermostat. I apologize for the late write- up

1. You can reach the thermostat without draining oil.. but it's a hassle with small spaces.
2. The thermostat was opened slightly when i got it, but when I closed it and did the heat check without a thermometer, it wouldn't even open at boiling temp.
3. Waiting for another thermostat via ebay, and I'll post once I check it again. Hopefully, I'll have it ready for the track next week Monday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14223385451/in/photostream/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I guess the problem is not over yet... When I went to the track, the bike did not go up to 240, but it went up to 225/230ish before i came off the track. I am still puzzled. The fan was not working, but it shouldn't get past about 217 without it... i pressure checked again, and it is maintaining proper pressure. I had already swapped the thermostat, which wasn't working. Now, I am looking at the water pump and removing that? If I do, do I have to drain my oil? I think the manual says to do it, but I didn't have to remove oil for thermostat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how do I do that? I took apart my water pump and it looks clean, but the blades turn. I tried my best to connect it back to the bike and turn it and it did. However, I don't think it was fully engaged?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts