Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just purchased an ‘09 ZX6R with 13,400 miles. The bike has a twin brothers black series exhaust. I have run into an issue. At low RPM under load the bike runs well. When I roll into the throttle it starts to bog at around 7000 RPMS. Sometimes it will do this and other times it takes off. It just seems like it’s choked out. I called a dealership and asked if they had seen the issue and they said that it could potentially be a TPS sensor that is failing, and would require a new throttle body. Other threads have said it could be a fuel issue, and some have said it could be a spark issue. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and was able to find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
Shine a flashlight inside the tank, and look for corrosion. An '09 with 13K miles hasn't been ridden enough, imho. Has to have sat around a bunch of the time. Stale gas can gunk up injectors, especially with alcohol in it.

Try injector cleaner before you dig into it. ONLY at the recommended dose.

it would be a very good idea to give the thing a tune up. Plugs, filters, oil change, brake fluid, probably needs a new chain and sprockets, would benefit from servicing the forks....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I serviced all fluids/filters the day I bought it. Fork seals are good. Vortex chain and sprockets are going on tomorrow. I still have to change the plugs. Do you think it is a fuel system issue and not an electrical such as a TPS?

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
You can check for stored error codes, to get some idea.... That's spelled out in the shop manual for your bike, which can be downloaded from this site for free.

Fuel you can do with very little effort. It's also possible that a fuel tank vent line is blocked or kinked. Next time it happens, stop the bike and open the gas cap. If you get a whoosh of air going into the tank, a vent is blocked.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I’d say you have an issue with the secondary fuel injectors. They kick in at 7,000rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d say you have an issue with the secondary fuel injectors. They kick in at 7,000rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the information. I am a fairly new rider and am trying to learn to do the wrenching on my own bike. What is the best way to test my secondary injectors?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can check for stored error codes, to get some idea.... That's spelled out in the shop manual for your bike, which can be downloaded from this site for free.

Fuel you can do with very little effort. It's also possible that a fuel tank vent line is blocked or kinked. Next time it happens, stop the bike and open the gas cap. If you get a whoosh of air going into the tank, a vent is blocked.
Thanks for the information. I will update when I find a solution. I have found a few threads with this same issue but it seems that no one has updated with their fix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There's a million threads..but very few direct answers to the initial problem.
Bogging down in any gear between 4 to 6k rpms vs. 6/7 to to 10k vs. 8 to 12k rpms all seem to be different from each other..

I had problems with high rpm bogging which I eventually got rid of by bypassing the kickstand switch.. that and running the tank very low with minimal fuel and a decent fuel injection cleaner in small amounts every 2nd fill up.

I'm now killing myself trying to figure out what/why my bike is bogged down in the 4 to 6k rpm range. And it doesn't get anywhere above that rev range.

I changed the tank out and put a new fuel pump in and fuel strainer.

It was an aftermarket t35 fuel pump..but I think it was for a Suzuki 700 boulevard or something like that.. which has a higher flow rate than our bikes. (One forum I read that it can cause gas to get into your oil and you need to change it - and my spark plugs are rather fouled)
I thought that was the problem.. but I put the old one back in and the bogging down was still there..
The tank I got was off an 07 zx6r...mines an 08. It doesn't fit perfectly.
I thought they were going to be the same.. but the mounting bolts don't line up to the spaces beneath the triple.
I thought that must be it then.. if the tank is flattening out the fuel hose maybe its the problem...??

I'm a bit behind with using multimeters so I am still trying to figure out how to test this one and find out if there's anything else I'm missing..
Can't get to the fuse beneath the seat where the fuel pump relay is.. so I don't know how to test that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, here’s a little update. I replaced the fuel pump and that didn’t get rid of my issue. The issue has actually progressively gotten worse. I have parked the bike until I can figure out a solution. Now the bike struggles to get pas 6k rpm and cuts out if I pull a heavy amount of throttle. It’s just all around running like garbage and I’m almost to the point of taking it it a shop and telling them to call me when it’s done. Maybe clogged injectors or throttle position sensor? I have changed all fluids, replaced all filters, put new spark plugs, cleaned the gas tank out, replaced fuel pump, I have ran injector cleaner through and makes no progress. Will continue to update if I, myself, or a local shop find a solution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well guys, here’s a little update. I replaced the fuel pump and that didn’t get rid of my issue. The issue has actually progressively gotten worse. I have parked the bike until I can figure out a solution. Now the bike struggles to get pas 6k rpm and cuts out if I pull a heavy amount of throttle. It’s just all around running like garbage and I’m almost to the point of taking it it a shop and telling them to call me when it’s done. Maybe clogged injectors or throttle position sensor? I have changed all fluids, replaced all filters, put new spark plugs, cleaned the gas tank out, replaced fuel pump, I have ran injector cleaner through and makes no progress. Will continue to update if I, myself, or a local shop find a solution.
Quick one to check.. have you checked out EXACTLY how your airbox is seating onto the throttle bodies? I had a clamp on those rubber boots that was slightly damaged.. could barely see it.
I opened up the airbox where the upper fuel injectors are sitting.. and only then did I see the issue.
Bike was sucking in air and giving the exact same things you describe..
Would run better for a few minutes and the problem would return..

Mines now only bogging down in higher rpms so I'm still working on it..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have checked the air box and replaced basically the whole fuel system. I even put a new throttle body in. I broke down and took it to a shop because I fear my Valves aren’t seating properly, or could have possibly burned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I have checked the air box and replaced basically the whole fuel system. I even put a new throttle body in. I broke down and took it to a shop because I fear my Valves aren’t seating properly, or could have possibly burned.
Damn I hope its not too heavy on the wallet to get it sorted.. its another challenge we have down here is that there's exactly one dealer who has parts for this generation.. and the kawi agents quite literally bend you over and make your grab your ankles for anything OEM/replacement parts..if and when they can get 🙄

I' think that I've maybe read one or two posts online where it was legitimately something very expensive to fix... 90% of the threads it would appear to be a weird mix of things..
Gas caps/kickstand switches/brakes dragging/ignition resistor/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the tank, new fuel lines, new throttle body, new primary and secondary injectors, new TPS, new spark plugs, new coils, and a new air filter. So, I have no clue. I took it to the shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the tank, new fuel lines, new throttle body, new primary and secondary injectors, new TPS, new spark plugs, new coils, and a new air filter. So, I have no clue. I took it to the shop.
Did it get better from any of these fixes..even if just for a bit ?

Have you tried swapping the tank? I read another post from a zx6r track racer and the laundry list of things he swapped out.. multiple pumps/t-bag strainers/etc etc ..
Taking his tank on and off and setting it down on the fuel pump assembly outlet pipe actually bent the pipe just enough to starve the fuel.. swapped tanks. Problem gone. No more posts. His bike would also be better for a while only for the problem to return mid race ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, my problem virtually went away for just a few minutes after I changed the regulator, and after I changed the fuel pump. It would rev to redline perfectly and then after I shut it off and cranked it back up the problem would return. I checked the outlet pipe and it wasn’t bent and I blew it out to make sure nothing was clogging it. I honestly am stumped and have no idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did it get better from any of these fixes..even if just for a bit ?

Have you tried swapping the tank? I read another post from a zx6r track racer and the laundry list of things he swapped out.. multiple pumps/t-bag strainers/etc etc ..
Taking his tank on and off and setting it down on the fuel pump assembly outlet pipe actually bent the pipe just enough to starve the fuel.. swapped tanks. Problem gone. No more posts. His bike would also be better for a while only for the problem to return mid race ..
I honestly can’t think of any other possibilities because I have replaced the whole fuel system, there are no vacuum leaks, all 4 coils are within spec, all 4 plugs have spark, the air filter is new.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I honestly can’t think of any other possibilities because I have replaced the whole fuel system, there are no vacuum leaks, all 4 coils are within spec, all 4 plugs have spark, the air filter is new.
I'm basically battling with the same thing as every time I find something else and think that must be it.. the problem seems to return.

If it was throwing a fault code for TPS or VDS I'd say that the problem is an intermittent one and more likely to be electrical..

The only thing that makes sense is that the ECU is putting the bike into one of the two restricted/limp modes ? But then I'm sure you would have an FI code.. ?

Does the bike sound any different/slightly louder than it did before?

I did a continuity test on the fuse for the ECU relay (the 30a green blade fuse under the seat)
The fuse wasn't blown but the continuity was not as good as it could be.. swapped it out just in case it could be related.

The other thing i want to do is a fuel pump flow test.. I've changed fuel pumps and the voltages are all good. The flow rate is something that shouldn't be out since it was fine before the new tank..

Has the shop given you any feedback yet ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm basically battling with the same thing as every time I find something else and think that must be it.. the problem seems to return.

If it was throwing a fault code for TPS or VDS I'd say that the problem is an intermittent one and more likely to be electrical..

The only thing that makes sense is that the ECU is putting the bike into one of the two restricted/limp modes ? But then I'm sure you would have an FI code.. ?

Does the bike sound any different/slightly louder than it did before?

I did a continuity test on the fuse for the ECU relay (the 30a green blade fuse under the seat)
The fuse wasn't blown but the continuity was not as good as it could be.. swapped it out just in case it could be related.

The other thing i want to do is a fuel pump flow test.. I've changed fuel pumps and the voltages are all good. The flow rate is something that shouldn't be out since it was fine before the new tank..

Has the shop given you any feedback yet ?
No, the shop hasn’t. They are still 2-3 weeks away from even touching it because everyone is trying to get their bikes running for summer. The only thing that sounds different is when I rev high and let the RPM fall back to idle there is a some subtle popping right before it’s back down to idle revs which makes me think that my valve seats may need worked on and is causing my valves to not properly seat and causing small ignitions in the exhaust system. But I honestly don’t know. That’s just a theory because every other thing I can think of has been replaced. I have no FI lights either so that doesn’t help at all

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, the shop hasn’t. They are still 2-3 weeks away from even touching it because everyone is trying to get their bikes running for summer. The only thing that sounds different is when I rev high and let the RPM fall back to idle there is a some subtle popping right before it’s back down to idle revs which makes me think that my valve seats may need worked on and is causing my valves to not properly seat and causing small ignitions in the exhaust system. But I honestly don’t know. That’s just a theory because every other thing I can think of has been replaced. I have no FI lights either so that doesn’t help at all
Reading back over your posts;

(Forgive me if I missed this in your replies)

Fuel/Gas Cap ? Did you try and ride the bike with the cap open ?

You say that the fuel pump was replaced , was that with a drop in replacement for the pump itself or the whole pump assembly system?
Those rubber O-rings in the fuel pump assembly could be seated incorrectly or the fuel pressure regulator might not be out of position/direction

Your bike has a custom exhaust system.. has the clean air mod been done ? Is the bypass vent that the crank case uses closed up ?

The revs staying up for a long time could be an indication of the air system being out of correct settings..

When the bike starts up it measures air from the sensor mounted to the air cleaner element housing (as the airbox is called in the manual)
If that reading is out of range the ecu can put the bike into one of the two restricted modes..

BUT then you would be getting a fault code if I'm not mistaken?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts