Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
ive got a 2009 zx6. Recently the reg red went which fried the stator and battery. This was then causing the main fuse to blow. This also caused issues with the ecu. I’ve now had the reg/rec changed. New stator. New battery. New ecu. But it’s still blowing the 30amp fuse. Any ideas at all. I’m at the point where I’m a lot of money down into investigation. Should I try a full new loom ? or just break the bike for bits. This isn’t the option I want to take as it’s my first bike and wanted to keep it till I’m old and can’t ride anymore.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
It's likely a wiring harness issue, at this point. Not guaranteed, because it sounds like you're just throwing parts at the problem. As you're discovering, that's a really expensive way to troubleshoot electrical problems. The fuse is blowing to protect the electrical system.

Do you own a multimeter?
Can you use said device to read voltage (both A.C. & D.C.), as well as resistance?
Have you already downloaded the shop manual for your bike from this site? (Free, and contains the schematic diagram of your bike)

Have you carefully examined the plugs and connections on that harness looking for melted spots, anywhere the insulation may have broken down?

The most common point of failure comes from someone's "improvements" to the electrical system. Take apart and inspect ANY and ALL aftermarket geegaws' junction to the harness.

FWIW, I've replaced the stator windings twice as well as the R/R twice on my '09. I'm guessing that one of the previous owners ran HID lighting which stressed the charging system.

The early '09s had a service bulletin for the R/R..... Kawasaki would replace it the first time it goes out, for free. The second time the stator windings burnt up, I changed the R/R to a FET design rather than the shunt OEM part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bud. Multimeter is in the truck and I’m on my way to go wire hunting. Thank you. 👍

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
As you’re having the main fuse blow without anything ‘below’ that point going first, it’s most likely in the highest power wiring.

Either R/R to fuse block, somewhere around the input to the fuse block, possibly the block itself…

Look for dirty crudded up connections, rusty connections, anything that looks like it’s been hot. Resistance makes heat out of power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going for a full new loom. It’s now blowing the ecu fuse. The time it will take to go through it all individually checking loom and components and could still end up not being able to see the fault in the loom means it’s more efficient to get a new loom that I know is good and when I swap it for the old one check each component as it’s reconnect and see if that blows the fuses. Then I’ll know what it is that was at fault. If nothing blows any fuses as it’s reconnected then it was the loom. If something blows it as it’s connected then it’s that. Expensive solution but I think it’s the most efficient way to sort it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Going for a full new loom. It’s now blowing the ecu fuse. The time it will take to go through it all individually checking loom and components and could still end up not being able to see the fault in the loom means it’s more efficient to get a new loom that I know is good and when I swap it for the old one check each component as it’s reconnect and see if that blows the fuses. Then I’ll know what it is that was at fault. If nothing blows any fuses as it’s reconnected then it was the loom. If something blows it as it’s connected then it’s that. Expensive solution but I think it’s the most efficient way to sort it.
You love your Kawie and won't stop until you get the problem sorted. Respect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts