Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 zx6r, so this winter im thinking about goind threw my bike basically. Question or advice im seeking is - what can or should i do to my engine? Bore job, bigger piston, friend said sumthin about rave valves. Getting a game plan together so i can start figuring out what i need. Appreciate the advice, really love my bike and love riden. If im not in my bike im lkn at stuff for it or reading on here.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Don’t take this the wrong way…. Just stating the facts. Anything you do to increase power, will decrease the service life of the engine.

As a general rule, the mfg have already gone for all the low hanging fruit. These are highly stressed high RPM engines that can survive over 100,000 miles without a hiccup. That’s one heck of an accomplishment.

The smog stuff, sure delete that. The heavy OEM exhaust…. Can you accept how loud that really is.

A lightweight battery, deleting the passenger accommodations, you could lower the weight of the bike by roughly 20 lbs.

Getting the ECU mapped, with a quality tune up may gain a few hp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t take this the wrong way…. Just stating the facts. Anything you do to increase power, will decrease the service life of the engine.

As a general rule, the mfg have already gone for all the low hanging fruit. These are highly stressed high RPM engines that can survive over 100,000 miles without a hiccup. That’s one heck of an accomplishment.

The smog stuff, sure delete that. The heavy OEM exhaust…. Can you accept how loud that really is.

A lightweight battery, deleting the passenger accommodations, you could lower the weight of the bike by roughly 20 lbs.

Getting the ECU mapped, with a quality tune up may gain a few hp.
So part of this rebuild is i believe oil may be getn past my rings, well thts what a friend thinks atleast. Im unsure. Dry black soot gathers at my exhaust tip, and spark plugs had dry black soot also. Not alot but def there. Havnt diagnosed the issue yet, thinkn could also be a fuel issue, running rich? Not sure. Was thinkn in a couple weeks about sending my ecu to moore mafia to get it flashed. I have a two bros slip on, klein air mod, jumper mod, and -1 front sprocket. Bike runs absolutely perfect, some backfire but i hear worse daily for sure. What do u think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So part of this rebuild is i believe oil may be getn past my rings, well thts what a friend thinks atleast. Im unsure. Dry black soot gathers at my exhaust tip, and spark plugs had dry black soot also. Not alot but def there. Havnt diagnosed the issue yet, thinkn could also be a fuel issue, running rich? Not sure. Was thinkn in a couple weeks about sending my ecu to moore mafia to get it flashed. I have a two bros slip on, klein air mod, jumper mod, and -1 front sprocket. Bike runs absolutely perfect, some backfire but i hear worse daily for sure. What do u think?
18,000 miles on bike. I just did oil, filter, and plugs also and put in k&n air filter. No worries i font take it wrong at all, I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
A compression check will tell you if your rings are bad. A leak down test is even more accurate.... if you have minor amounts of soot in the exhaust and on the plugs, I'd be willing to be it's running slightly more rich than ideal. That's a MUCH better place to be, than too lean. If you have an aftermarket fuel controller 'piggy backed' onto your system, it's likely the cause of the soot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Everything relys on each other in a System or a thing call bottleneck. If you increase the pistons size you'll need greater ignition to power the combustion stroke. The normal mod boosts are good enough. 😊

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda what i dont get about the running rich thing, no pow cam or anything like that. Thought was do an ecu flash with moore mafia. Would klein are or jumper mod make it run rich? But i thought rich over oil also cause its bone dry and really not alot on exhaust and plugs. Doesnt overheat or burn oil. May just go up a tooth on back sprocket and feel like i added a few more ponys. Lol

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
What is your end goal??????? are you looking for a modest 10hp or you want to try and add 25-30?

How often do you want to go through a "refresh" process?

There are several easy low hanging fruit items to add a noticeable bump without sacrificing reliability........
  • squish........ get your squish down to a much tighter tolerance
  • good rigid hone with new rings properly end gapped and seated!!!!!!!!
-Valve job, oe valve seat cuts are just 3 angle and they cut them about .020" inside the valve edge....... cutting the seat wider and narrower slightly is like installing .5mm larger valves, couple that with a nice 5a radius and clean up the mating of the port/seat insert and you can get a nice little bump
- cam timing...... optimize it, I guaratee you there is power to be had there
-micro-polish the transmission and oil pump rotors! Buy a new set of oil pump rotors or even a whole new housing to start this process- your oil pressure will thank you!!! and while at it, back cut the entire set up and down shifts!!
100% reliable easy power for not a break the bank price....... going beyond this will add significant costs for less gains.... but you can go beyond this and get more, just the cost per hp/tq goes up significantly for those last handful......
- crank and rod bearings, fit them properly, make sure all 4 rods weigh the same too!..... you can do that with the pistons as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont want to sacrifice reliability. Would like to add maybe 10-15 hp. End goal is a engine tune up that keeps bike running good and adds alittle power. Not looking to dump thousands into my bike but would dump a $1000 total ish. I have a slip on rite now, was thinkn headers and a straight link pipe? Maybe small bore ond new rings or port and polish maybe. Idk just looking for ideas and advice. And im gunna do an ecu flash very soon and this winter do the engine stuff. Great write up, def appreciate everyones effort.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
riversZZR is by far, the most experienced mechanic we have who participates on this board. I'd place myself and a few others as a distant second; its a 50+ year hobby for me, rather than how I make a living.

Make the bike lighter, if you want to accelerate harder. Whether the weight comes off you or the bike, the end result is the same. That's why most of the pro racers are smaller people. Less mass. Same reason almost all of the special forces types are lean, rather than bulked up...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts