Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Was riding the bike yesterday with no issues when it started moving in to neutral from third gear during a downshift. Downshifted from 3rd and it went in to neutral, shifter was stuck down and had to let go of the clutch then re-clutch and force the bike in to gear. Forcing the shifter up would get the bike in to second gear and forcing down gets the bike in to first gear. Crunching can be heard and felt each time it is forced. Occasionally gets stuck in neutral when upshifting from second to third.

I've had a lot of opinions from mates ranging from a possible fix to new engine.

I know the transmission isn't too hard to access on this bike. Possible selector issue? The bike does not pop out of gear on its own.

Also, did an oil and oil filter change the day before and tightened the clutch lever which was somewhat loose. Chain tension is good.

Diagnosis? Repair?

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
remove shifter, bolt and washers........... clean and lube thoroughly then reinstall and make sure it is all adjusted properly to fit your body..........

Sounds like lack of maintenance has the shifter sticking and you "force the bike in gear" is what has caused the grinding...... stop casuing the grinding!! that isn't good for the forks, the drum nor the gears

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Its definitely not the shifter. Cleaned and lubricated the joints and and tightened the bolt according to the manual and still not behaving between lower gears.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Is the shifter pedal still sticking down and up?

Sounds like you are going to have to pull the clutch cover and look closely at the shifter shaft and shift star and associated parts and if not there move on to looking at the shift drum, shift forks and the transmission gears themself.....

How many miles on the bike and how long have you owned it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 55,000 kms on it and I've owned it less than a year. I just downloaded the 97 zx6r manual and will try going through the transmission.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I would start with the things that do not require engine removal and disassembly.......but that is just my silliness talking I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts