Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story: I purchased a used 07' ZX6R about 2 months ago (love this bike!) With just over 12k miles. It's basically stock besides a Scotts stabilizer, Speedo healer, and some after market suspension parts. I started to notice about a month in the power was flattening out around 12k rpms, even in neutral.

I pulled the tank and the fuel pump last night and found that my screen was very clogged with all kinds of debris. I cleaned everything thoroughly (pump and tank). Now the bike is struggling to rev past 8k rpm. Runs perfect up to that point.

So I'm looking to replace the pump but everyone sells the complete assembly and I'd rather just swap pumps and be done. Any recommendations on aftermarket pumps that aren't $4

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I was looking at these but I was hoping to here from some experienced members on here. I'll probably pick this one up. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to order one today. I'm looking forward to getting the bike back up. I'll post a review after I receive the new fuel pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the fuel pump from fuel pump factory and it came in a day early. Quality, looked great and included a regulator and new seals. I got every thing installed and it did the trick. Bike happily hit redline. I took it out for a ride and it was perfect for about an hour. Now, it's basically acting like the old pump. It's stopping at around 12-14k rpms.

I tested my stator by checking for continuity and then checking for resistance. Both of these checked out just fine. I followed up checking the running voltage. It's right at 14.5 volts idling and just a bit lower at 3k rpm with the high beam on. So that checks out too.

Next I'm going to pull the plugs and verify they aren't worn out. The air filter isn't new but I'm doubtful it's the culprit.

Anyone have advice??

·
Registered
48 Posts
If changing the fuel pump temporarily solved the problem it leads me to believe you have a fuel problem.
Did you clean out the tank before you installed the new pump?
If the tank and fuel are fine then it it could be a partially blocked fuel line or injector.
Maybe check the fuel pump relay as well. If that's making a partial contact it could be starving the pump of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleaned the tank really good before the new pump arrived. These bikes don't have an inline filter either 😞 The strange part is it rips right up to thst rpm and just flattens out like it's redlining. No surges or stalls. It's just all go and then stays steady at that rpm(12-14k).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a lot of reading I'm going to claim my pump under warranty and hope that it was just defective. If that isn't the problem then I'm going to pay and have it diagnosed at Ride Now here in Vegas. While I wait I'll drop in new plugs and an air filter. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the call from the shop and they are saying it's the fuel pump putting out low pressure. I'm going to swap out for a different brand pump. The pump I replaced it was from Fuel Pump Factory. I got a full refund but I wouldn't advise them for these bikes. I'll repost after I grab another pump and get it installed.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Got the call from the shop and they are saying it's the fuel pump putting out low pressure. I'm going to swap out for a different brand pump. The pump I replaced it was from Fuel Pump Factory. I got a full refund but I wouldn't advise them for these bikes. I'll repost after I grab another pump and get it installed.
Awe man, that sucks. Glad they gave you a full refund though, and thanks for reporting back!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts