Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having the same issue with my 2007 zx6r over about 5 months basically bogs down after 8000rpm and won't build any further also very harsh on and off the throttle in the low revs (like a switch), when I bought the bike she'd been sitting for about 4 years and had rust in the tank. I ran it like this and realised it wasn't building above 10k rpm so I pulled the tank and sat vinegar in there for a few days witch removed most of the rust. I put a fresh fuel pump and filter in and it ran well for a few months however after siting for 2 weeks it began to develop the same issue bogging down at about 12k and progressivly getting worse until it wouldn't build past 6k. I then put a sealant kit in the tank and had a new pump, new plugs put in, I also had the fuel rail and injectors cleaned and tested. Bike ran good for two weeks before having the same issues won't build past 6k now. Not to sure what's going on, any ideas would be appreciated cheers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was the tank leaking? I don't understand why you needed sealant?

Sounds like there is enough rust that it keeps clogging things up. I was hoping to see something like:
"I cleaned the tank out completely, no more rust or junk in there, then I installed a new pump".

If you keep having the same problem, and replacing the fuel pump fixes it, you need to find out what's messing up the pump.
#1 cause is junk (rust) in the tank
#2 cause is running on low gas all the time (can overheat)
#3 cause (very rare) voltage and power supply issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the tank leaking? I don't understand why you needed sealant?

Sounds like there is enough rust that it keeps clogging things up. I was hoping to see something like:
"I cleaned the tank out completely, no more rust or junk in there, then I installed a new pump".

If you keep having the same problem, and replacing the fuel pump fixes it, you need to find out what's messing up the pump.
#1 cause is junk (rust) in the tank
#2 cause is running on low gas all the time (can overheat)
#3 cause (very rare) voltage and power supply issues
Nah no leaks, the first time I cleaned the tank with vinegar it didn't get all the rust so I did it again with a kit, basically was a acid followed by a sealant and there's been no more rust or debris in there. I couldn't see it being the pump again as its all clean but might be worth getting it tested.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
It could also be a vacuum leak somewhere (Are all of the little hoses connected where they are supposed to be? Are there any holes/leaks in any of them?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts