Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am new to the forum and am looking at getting an 07 ZX-6r next week. I currently have an 06 Ninja 650R, which is my third street bike in the last 14 years. I really like the looks of the new Ninja, but after reading a few of the different forums, am a little bit concerned with the problems folks have been reporting.
What is the percentage of owners of the 07 that have had the TICKING sound of doom or the oil leak problems? Of the ones that have had the problem, how many have done the jumper mod (can't see how it would make a difference, but thought I'd ask)?
My 650R is rock solid and I don't want to get something that is going to spend weeks at a time at the dealership waiting for parts.

Thanks for any feedback.

By the way, I'm getting a silver bike with an 03/07 build date.

·
Registered
311 Posts
yea i'd be alittle sketchy about buying the 07 a lot of people having problems with them.. i was at the dealer the other day and theyre marking down the price because the 6rs arent selling!

do yourself a favor and buy a '04 ninja6=]

someone posted a dyno readout be4 and after the jumper mod and you do get power for another 1000rpm

-chadmanbrown :cool2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
all ive ever heard about 07s is bad stuff.i dont know how many people ive heard of whos bikes engines have blown up after 600-1500 miles cause ticking or oil.i wouldint buy one and would sell it if i owned one and heard about all the problems people were having.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought one a week ago. I only have 110 miles on it so I really can't tell you much about it yet as far as problems. The only thing I can say is how smooth it feels compared to my 03 zx6rr and it has a lot more zip. Somebody that has had one for a while will speak up soon to help out your decision. So far I am in love with mine. For some reason it is a lot more comfortable than my 03 also. Good luck with your decision.

I went with green. ;)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Wait for the 08's, they should have all the issues resolved with that years model. Seems anytime a bike manufacturer (or car for that matter) comes out with a new re-design they always have issues which are usually cleared up the following year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an '07. If you're taking a poll, go ahead and put me in the "love it" category.

Mine was manufactured in 12/06. I have 2k miles on it right now, and I did in fact have an oil leak problem at 1.6k miles. The dealer replaced the head gasket under warranty, and it's running fine now. The TICKING sound of doom has not occurred, and I’m not super worried about it. If it happens, it happens. I will make the jumper mod once the warranty period is up just in case doing otherwise would jeopardize the warranty.

By the way, did you consider hanging on to your 650R and turning it into a track bike? That would be pretty sweet IMO. I was thinking of getting my girlfriend an SV650 for her to learn on, and then turning it into a track bike for myself...sort of a two birds, one stone deal (that's if I don't end up following faster's well-received suggestion to me and get a 125 track bike to hone my skills on).

http://www.hotbodiesracing.com/ninja650_06_bw.php4

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 05 636 and I couldn't be happier with it, Even despite all the bad publicity about the tranny issues I have read. My bike has been thru hell and back I have had 1 major wreck with it and totally rebuilt the bike to the extent of about $5000 and 1 minor lowside on Labor Day at the track. I wouldn't buy an 07 just yet. I would wait for all the bugs to get worked out, Just as the post above about all new bikes and cars, Whenever there is a new model built there are going to be bugs and kinks to be worked out. When I bought my 05 it was the brand new thing and so far I havent had any problems with it, Just a luck thing I guess. But do your homework and don't jump into something just because, I would wait a while till all the kinks are worked out. I have a buddy that bought an 06 zx6r and he hasn't had any problems with it yet and it has seen 3 trackdays so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2007 ZX6r (from Canada) with Camshaft problem.... I
only have 1 500km (don't know how many miles but it's not a lot.
The pieces are back order !
I would personnaly recommend to wait.... It's my first bike and I
am very disapointed from the customer services (including parts)...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have an 07 ZX6R as well, no problems with it so far. 3800 miles since may

·
Registered
7 Posts
My son's 07 is in the shop now with torn up shim buckets and cams. The parts are back order. I am sure his bike will be in the shop at least 4 to 6 weeks. I would recommend getting an '08. The 650R is a great bike, so it shouldn't hurt your feelings to keep it a little longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dang it seems like alot of people here are having 07 problems. Knock on wood!!! I haven't yet w/2200 miles on it. It an awesome bike only my 2nd bke but I love it.. Wouldnt trade it for anything... Maybe this will help ya...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Haven't had any problems with mine, but if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't take that chance.

It's not just the 07 ZX-6R, a lot of bikes, Kawasaki or otherwise, have problems. In short, do your homework and make a educated decision that you can live with.

My only definate recommendation is to NOT get a used sportsbike (period)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seriously I realy like my bike and I don't think I
would be confortable on any other bike. It's light
and I like how it look's like. But I tough it would
have been the best choice I would have done.

It's sure that in 10 years I'll considere other bikes
and not juste kawasaki like I did. Don't forget I don't
have my full driver's licence (beginner) so I could
go for a try before I bought it. Next time, I'll be able
to !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
thru, but I would not play with fire.
Here it seems like the dealer always have problem
with ordering parts from Kawasaki Canada. I don't
know it they have a better service but if it's like
this all the time I will think kawasaki at last. Anyway
I have a little while to do with this bike since it's
brand new ! LOL But for all the years it's seem like
kawasaki dealer are always waiting on parts.
By the way it's been 2 weeks my bike is parked and
I have an extra 2 weeks to wait. It add's up to a
month. This is without calculating the time to rebuilt
the motor.

... I have so many thing to say... I guess it's due to
the fact I am pretty mad ! LOL

It's stupid because they offer you this extended guarantee
but really you pay for this. They your bike is parked for
a month and you keep paying your monthly paiements and
your insurance paiement. I can't practice for my next year
exam and the costumer service guy find a way to offer you
what you are already aloud and trying to tell you he could,
if he wanted, not offer this to you. Then you are mad,
you try to get a free extended guarantee for two extra
years and he turns around and tell me to be rational and
offer me to buy it !!! I couldn't believe my ears.
He must be damn well pay for not caring having a parked
bike for a month when it's brand new !

I mean, if I would have bought a old bike and I would have
had problems with it, ok fine I understand. But a brand new
bike.... how can the parts be Back Order.... It's probably
because they have so many people who have this problem
but doesn't report here or any where else....

Haaaaaa.... sorry I am very mad and I am sure you guys
feel the same because we all are in the same boat....

By the way, you needed a girl for writing this long ! LOL

Steph

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so i havean 06 zx6rr... and it was AWESOME fo the first 10000 miles... then right at 10500 the cam rod busted... ive had the bike for 6 months got it brand new... its been in the shop for 3 weeks and will be there another 3... it took them 2 weeks to get auth from kawi for the warranty before they even orderd parts...im sure when i get the bike back it will be good as new.. nice fresh rebuilt engine that i can just go out and stunt... id wait for the 08

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love my '07 and wouldn't trade it in for anything. Being that they are having these problems though, just make sure you get the warranty.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Mine is at 2300 miles with no problems been using castrol act-evo synth. oil. March build date also. I had the service center go through it and said it was broke in and looking great.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts