Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First time poster in need of some serious help. I have a 2007 ZX6r and I have ran into a dilemma that I cannot seem to figure out. When I attempt to start my bike, it just turns over and doesn't fully crank. Battery is fresh, all the sensors are working great and the bike is getting fuel. I have ran a compression test on the cylinders and 3 are running below 50 psi, which I find to be extremely odd for a bike that has less than 5k on it. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is and the shop is wanting at least $600 to take it apart just to figure out what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sometimes it helps us if you post a video of the bike during startup. But post the link, some of us can't see embedded YouTube videos on this site on IOS.

I'm going to suggest you try a new battery. I know you said it's "fresh" but in my experience, I have had mute tipple (<<<<<I'm leaving that rediculous autocorrect) batteries go bad on me including a new one out of the box. They do some crazy things and EVERYTIME I have had a bike that cranks but won't start, it's been the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check out a new battery. I replaced it not long ago and it still did the same thing. Also, I don't believe this would cause the compression to be below 50 psi in 3 of the cylinders.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Assuming you performed the compression check correctly, the compression is so low on those 3 cyclinders that you have other issues that need tending to aside from simply getting it to start. I'd perform a leak down test before I did anything else to isolate the weak compression.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You make sure you didn't accidentally bump the killswitch? I know it sounds stupid but I've done it and many others have done the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I performed the compression test correctly. I may have only just posted but I am far from being green. The compression on my cylinders, when seated, from left to right are: 50, 75,105 and 120. I'll have to find the paper work from when I had it checked out before. From what I remember it did fail which prompted me to check the timing, which it was fine. Only other thing I can thing of is the shims are worn. I haven't checked them because it has less than 5k on it but when it comes to mechanics, mileage has nothing to do with something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts