Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the bike the other week, whats the best way to do a wheelie on one of these things?

ive heard slip clutch in 2nd gear ive tried but noting.. and ive also been told to do a power on wheelie before slipping the clutch.. please help whats revs should i be doing this at im guessing 10K plus but i could be wrong

i just came off a 250 cbr so yeah any advice would help. thanks

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk
YouTube - How to wheelie a Motorcycle

start by powering it up a little..bring the rpm's up in first, then let off a little and get on it. that should lift it a bit, though you might not be able to stand it up or keep it off the ground for long, u have to get used to the acceleration/lift.

clutching is the way to go. i usually hold the rmp's at around 8k, (everybody recomends second gear...if you're very careful and take your time, u can learn in first at a lower speed, that's what i did), then pull in the clutch and lift your fingers off the lever so it pops back, and at the same time wind on the throttle a little until you figure out how much it takes to pop it. it will be kinda violent..

im by no means the wheelie monster of these parts. you should hear from lowery or somebody

·
Registered
956 Posts
At a stand still rev the bike to 14,000 rpm and let go of the clutch! you will for sure wheelie! .... LOL REALLY DON"T DO THAT!

Just put a big ass sprocket on the back and give her gas!..

Follow the instructions from the Vid! it's just a matter of practice. Start off slow and take your time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
That video Kahearn posted up is an AWESOME wheelie tutorial. Without being there to see and help guide you, that video will get you on your way. Its all taking your time and not rushing things. You will be amazed how wheelies just fall into place for you with lots of practice. I learned 1 st gear power-ups first as well. They teach you the balance point really well and 1st gear is more forgiving as you can chop the throttle and bring it back down if you come a lil too close to looping it. 10k rpm is too high to bring it up in first, youll end up flipping it that way. Try 7-8k rpm, accelerate quickly to 7/8, then drop off the throttle and quickly snap the throttle back on. Youll feel it coming up for sure! If you have any specific question, private message me, I'll do my best to help ya out bro.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That video Kahearn posted up is an AWESOME wheelie tutorial. Without being there to see and help guide you, that video will get you on your way. Its all taking your time and not rushing things. You will be amazed how wheelies just fall into place for you with lots of practice. I learned 1 st gear power-ups first as well. They teach you the balance point really well and 1st gear is more forgiving as you can chop the throttle and bring it back down if you come a lil too close to looping it. 10k rpm is too high to bring it up in first, youll end up flipping it that way. Try 7-8k rpm, accelerate quickly to 7/8, then drop off the throttle and quickly snap the throttle back on. Youll feel it coming up for sure! If you have any specific question, private message me, I'll do my best to help ya out bro.
well said

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I remember I couldn't get it to power wheelie so I tried to slip the clutch and I did it one time and it scared the fuck outta me and I have not tried since. lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
One time I got it up to around 10 o'clock:devious( only cuz I clutched it up in what I THOUGHT was 2nd, turned out I was actually in 1st :coocoo)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When I first started to try powering it up in 1st I would get up to about 25 mph, close the throttle a little then pop it open again. It worked the first time on my 636. Oddly enough subsequent attempts did nothing. After a bit of experimenting it seems that timing of reopening the throttle has some bearing on it. I think I was doing it too quickly, as a result the rpms didn't drop far enough. Either that or I was just at the wrong RPM in the first place. Its a bit difficult reading that stupid tach on the '06's!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think It's just a matter of feeling when and how hard the power comes on. using your Speed, RPM(availavle Power), throttle and clutch disengagement.

Basically you need to have enough available power to accelerate fast enough to lift the front tire. your rpm 1st must be high enough to have power then use the clutch combined with your throttle to deliver that power to your power train.

I found that just "slightly" and I mean jut that! slipping the clutch about 8-12k with a 3/4 throttle in 1st gear is enough to get the bike to stand up quickly depending on your speed. Like driving a stick shift car.. when you want to accelerate a bit faster you slip the clutch.. do that on a bike and the front tire is going to stand up.

Now if you had a Ninja 250 you would need to do some other tricks like compressing the forks and pulling up on the bars while shifting and slipping the clutch..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts